Step file of assembly with external surfaces only - How do I do it??

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Sold edgers

After spending hours trying to make a step file of an assembly, containing ONLY the outer surfaces I give up!

It is a complicated assembly with a lot of parts, and I only need the outer surface.

The inside of the assembly must be empty, to prevent the design to be copied.

Since it is a complicated assembly, I prefer a method that is not too time consuming.

So, are there any way to do this in Solid Edge ST6????Smiley Very Happy

Best regards

Claus

9 REPLIES

Re: Step file of assembly with external surfaces only - How do I do it??

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Claus,

forgive me if I've misinterpreted your request but I think.....

I don't know if this can be done from the Assembly environment.  If I want to do what I think you do then I normally start in the Part environment and then 'Part Copy' the entire assembly.  I set the Part Copy options so that a single merged body is created but keep the colors as set in the original.  Once the entire assembly is merged as a single part I then save it as a STEP file.

Hope that makes sense and is useful.

Frank

Edinburgh University

This was the same problem we had before.

First we tried to use a simplified assembly and save that as a part, no succes.

Then we tried to create a part copy with merged option, no succes due errors.

The we stumbeld on EdgePublisher, this is an extra program of Avalon Innovation. This allows you to create a part file that contains simplified parts. It works great. It's not a plugg but a tip.

http://edgepublisher.com/

http://youtu.be/YxqGS9NHcyo

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Creator
Creator

I have seen references to Edge Publisher before and attempted to evalute it but I had great difficulty in actually getting the program to work or finding any instructions for how to use it. The Edge Publisher website is not very helpful and previous inquiries to the company have gone unanswered.

I looked at it again today. I can download Edge Publisher but it appears as though the "unite assembly" functionality is a separate plug-in for which there is no apparent link to download from. Where do I get the Unite Assembly plug-in from?

Andrew Hill

Hydrogenics Corpoation

I think you need a trail license for that. This is one of the key features in EP.

You need to send an email to the email adresses placed on the download site.

After that I can help you with the settings for the unite assembly.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Legend
Legend

Thread necromancy...

I got a license from the web site but I am unsure where to go from here. I put the lic file in the program files and program data folders but neither seems to work. Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

nanan00 wrote:

Thread necromancy...

I got a license from the web site but I am unsure where to go from here. I put the lic file in the program files and program data folders but neither seems to work. Any suggestions?

Hi there,

You should have started a new thread for this one....BUT,....what version of Solid Edge is your license for?, and is it a commercial or student edition?? [physical "SElicense.dat" files now reside in "Program Files > Solid Edge > Preferences" folder]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend

The license is for the Edge Publisher program, it is freely given on their web site.

I was just wondering how the guy got it to work.

Failing that, I need to shrinkwrap a 300+ part assembly for a client and save it into .sat format. Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Aha....now it makes sense [when I read the preceeding posts] , and is completely relevant to the topic, my apologies. Robot Embarassed

Umm...making these types of files is where I tend to use simplified parts in a completely new assembly verrsion. Difficult on some of our sheet metal components, so sometimes I model them as block bodies, specific to this task. All of which, creates additional files, and takes a bit of time.

There is still no easy answer for this problem, which varies in complexity from user to user, I'm afraid.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend

I am tempted to install inventor and do it from there...

Hay SE guys, how about adding shrinkwrap to SE by default? Inventor has had it for like a decade.