Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student version for learning professionals

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good afternoon community,

I've been using SE for a few years now and have been very happy with the software for our needs. Coming from other 3D software it took time to adjust and learn but I did it mostly without any training. We have two or three team members that are proficient in other software as well such as Rhino and have strong 2D skills in autocad but need to be trained in SE so that we can get more of our drafting work into SE and out of Autocad (derived from 3D models). It's a hard pitch getting more monthly subs or perpetual seats for people learning or have 0 experience in parametric CAD.

Is there a way to purchase student subscriptions or obtain student versions for them so that I can train and bring them up to speed? With tutorials and 1 on 1 training I'm confident I can bring them up to speed within 1-3 months and get them on full seats once the value is shown, and internal engineering team can grow. Any resources you could share would be helpful. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Student version for learning professionals

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@CADCAM16 

If your colleagues would eventually be joining you working full time on SE then purchasing a full subscription as early as possible will only help master it quicker.

Be aware that the models and drawings created using the student version will not open with the commercial version that you may eventually purchase.

The video tutorials that come with online help are a great place to start learning for beginners.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/2019/se_help#uid:xid1129777:index_user_interface:se_...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @CADCAM16 ,

I would suggest using this Forum as a Source for tutorials and answers.

The best one!

Online video tutorials:

Wolfgang Walden on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/user/netwulf61/videos

... and many more.

Regards,

Arek

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi, 

It's legal to use academic licenses or a student version in professional enviroments to learn Solid Edge?

Highlighted

Gears Phenom

Hi @Joanpolo,

from my knowledge, no.

You have to be a student.

When you're filling the online-form, Siemens is asking for this info.

You can download a Trial.

regards,

Arek

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi @arekkul ,

Thanks for the info. Another question regarding this. Imagine in your company you have 2 SE licences, but you have to teach 4 people, how can you handle this, using Trials versions?

Regards,

Gears Phenom

Hi @Joanpolo ,

the trial version has 45 days access, pretty much time.

After this time I would try to uninstall the previous trial, clean the Reg and all leftovers and install it again.

I don't know if it works but worth try.

Your people could install the trial version on home computers too to keep learning at home. 

Many, many opportunities.

Regards,

Arek

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, that is good to know. Appreciate everyone's response but I am looking for clean legal ways to do this, not to play with trials. The end goal is to get more seats of SE subscription. Perhaps it would be worth getting a seat of the lower (foundation or the like) to use to train several people, as training would via weekly classes and then switch to a couple seats after once they are using it regularly.