Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription Licensing

Phenom
Phenom

I have not checked in w/ GTAC on this yet and thought I would ask here first regarding licensing for the subscription version of Solid Edge.

We are subbing out some work to another Engineering company who does not normally use SE. They currently have two subscriptions and may add a third.

The question they have is: Can they move SE around to different people on different computers throughout the life of the project? To remain flexible, they might have Person A begin working on the project, but then person A may transition off it and Person B needs to pick up the work and complete it albeit on a different computer. For example Person A does the design and modeling work and Person B comes along later to perform the detail drafting.

As I understand it, the licenses are node locked to the original PC that that SE is installed on, which seems like it would be a problem to move it to another computer and likely require a call to GTAC. But I don't know that for a fact.

Does anyone have any experience with this or perhaps one of the GTAC folks care to weigh in on this?

I am running a subscription currently, but I am a one person operation at present.

TIA,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317
3 REPLIES

Re: Subscription Licensing

Genius
Genius

Isn't this a case for a floating version of the license?

585 ST9 Win 7

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

First of all, Bob, if you need to sub some SE work out, why not start with the freelance community here rather than people who normally don't use SE?  (I'll send you a quote.)

Second, the subscription licenses are by username.  They can float among mutliple computers, but only the individual with the associated email-webkey can run SE.  Could they potentially share login information?  Well...

Don't quote me because I would have to re-read the EULA, but I don't think subscriptions are transferrable.  At th end of the month, they can renew under a new name.  But if they pre-paid an annual subscription, I think it is locked to that user.

Phenom
Phenom

@swertel I would love to provide work to the freelance community. However, in this case the work is very specialized coal mining related work and I need to pass it along to someone who has that background and experience. In this case they happen to be a SW shop with some SE experience from  a few years back.

Thanks for the info. on the licensing scheme.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317