Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtract the volume of a moving part

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey Guys,

does anyone know if it is possible to subract the whole volume of a part which moves on a defined line from another part in assembly ? The only way I know right now is to use the command "Subtration" then I would move one Part a little bit and subtract the volume again and so on. But I hope there is a more efficient way to do it. :-)

I know that its possible with the collision analysis in dynamic design motion (DDM) but is there a way to do it with Solid Edge too?

Sincerley Michael

24 REPLIES

Re: Subtract the volume of a moving part

Experimenter
Experimenter

This may be a little barbaric (just recently started with SE), but why don't you create a part with dimensions according to your end position. That way you could substract all at once. There should be an option to extrude a geometry along a line or so (at least, there are options like this in every CAD program i've used before, often used to create springs)

edit: my assumption is that you want the "path" of your moving part to be free, I hope I didn't misunderstand this.

KR,

Max

SWEPT SOLID

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:xid1221839

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MattJohnson_PG

Swept Solid only partially can solve this issue.

Only if the body wjich is moved along that curve rotates during it smotion.

Then the result will be what Swept Solid is doing.

But if You do not have a roataional body and only a simple trasnitioin is wanted, then this function will fail.

Then the old and hard method will be the only one leading to a result.

regards
Wolfgang

also,  i now realise this is assembly needs not a single part.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This what you're looking for OP?

https://youtu.be/l1_z58sQA2c?t=39m32s

All credit to Matt Johnson.

Solid Edge ST10 MP5 - Windows 8.1 - K2000

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the replies.

@MaxEBGYep, your assumption is completly correct. The problem with your solution is that I dont have a mathematical way to define the 3D line only a geometrical way (two combined 2D curves). I upload the pictures ("Relation 1.jpg" and "Relation 2.jpg) so you can see which curves I overlapped to get the 3D movement.

I tried to extrude the sphere along the two overlapping 2D-curves, so I can substract all at once. But I think it is not possible to extrude a part like that. Or is it ?

@MattJohnson_PGsame problem with swept solid

@hawcad"Then the old and hard method will be the only one leading to a result." - So you mean move, substract, move, substract,...?

@DaveGThis is what I am looking for. But I can´t get the correct movement of the sphere done with dynamic design motion. I tried the curve-curve, curve-to-face, curve-to-point relation and everything else what possibly could make sense to get the same 3d movement which is defined with the two relations in assembly (Relation 1.jpg, Relation 2.jpg).

So what I am looking for is either a 3d curve of the sphere to extrude it the correct way to subtract all in once or a way to get the sphere movement done in dynamic design motion or a way to extrude the sphere to two overlapping 2d curves.

Sincerely Michael

Phenom
Phenom

If you are only interested in subtracting the swept volume of a sphere, isn't that a cylindrical form with a sphere on each end ?

I would try sweeping a circle along the path, add a sphere on each end and then subtract.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP3 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@beachcomberThanks for the reply. I figured it out how to get the exact 3D path to extrude the way you explain. I tried to sweep a circle along this path but an error occured which says that the extruded part will overlap itself. So I think wont work..

Another solution is to pattern the sphere along the path, but then it is not possible to subtract the whole pattern at once. I can only choose one element of the pattern at the time. Is it possible to select the whole pattern for substraction?

The third way I tried  to subtract the volume along this path was with solid sweep. But I am not able to select the tool (sphere). I even tried to select other shapes instead of the sphere, but it is not possible to select any of it. Do you have to select the tool extern or something? What am I doing wrong?

Phenom
Phenom

@MichaelVoelz

I can't help with solid sweep as I'm still on ST7.

However, if you can't select multiple spheres to subtract. I would try to UNION them together first, then subtract the result from your base solid.

I would create the subtraction solid as a seperate body.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP3 on Windows 10 Pro 64.