Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suffix and Prefix in Pack and Go

Experimenter
Experimenter

In Solid works you can also use Pack and GO

Add a prefix and suffix to the to be copied filenames in Pack and Go. -

I have attached a picture to this call which show the Pack and Go functionality in SolidWorks. This might be a good start point.

This IR was converted into an enhancement request and is now referenced as ER Number 7879885.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Suffix and Prefix in Pack and Go

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

There is no direct way in P&G, I suggest using Design Manager for adding prefix or suffix. It's not a simply way, but usable. Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Hi guys

I've found a simple solution.

1. open Assembly solid edge
  2. Click rename
  3. select column file new name
  4. open excel e paste all value
  5. use function concat  and add prefix
  6. Copy e Paste in design manager

Hi

Sergio

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @SergioS 

but the shown method only seems to be possible when not using SE Data Management.

I have in use DM and there is no possiblity to paste anything.

You can paste it in the Document Number field, but here the problem occurs that SE DM first finds all references (in use) items and shows them too.

So the number of lines does not correspond to the excel file.

On the other hand, what could be the deeper usage of a prefix in PackAndGo?

To show that these are copied files?

regards
Wolfgang

Nice suggestion, @SergioS!

@hawcad, due to the way we name files we use a project number or the word "VEND" or "CUST" as a prefix. You and I can question doing so but it won't change the fact. Anyway, say we import a customer's assembly which we want to use as-is and before we add the files to our database we would like to simply add "CUST" as a prefix en masse. This is a nice workaround IMO.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand 

good reason!

Do You use PackAndGo for bringing data back into the database?

So not only for exporting but also for importing?

regards
Wolfgang

I've only used Pack and Go for export and rarely even then. I didn't know you could use it to import. Would that work with Insight or Tc? In any case I would use Add to Library for that.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi 

what I would like to see within PackAndGo - or within SE at all - is, to CheckOut a certain document together with all its references (parts of assembly, drafts, etc.) together with a controlled copy (PackAndGo) to a local directory, for offline usage.

And - and this is very important too - a further controlled CheckIn mechanism to get all data back to the correct locations at the sever.

This - for the pure Solid Edge Data Management, that - from my point of view - is not a request for TC or Insight, where this functionality probably already exists.

I think that all the single functions already exists. There is the CheckIn/CheckOut function for changing the status, there is PackAndGo to get it to a local destination, but there is missing the controlled bringing back mechanism, and all together under one roof, what is a single feature/function.

Would be really great!

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

@hawcad  that would be very good agreed.  I would use it for the assembly files that I send to GTAC for them to repair but then when I get them back it takes hours and hours to fix all the links back to our file structure for all the components are scatered in respective folders.

I would like to add that when PAG multiple assemblies that share common parts and share PAG root destination they need to share the same file.  As it is now SE just informs you that it's renaming the file.  If there's already a file there with the same name just use that one!!!

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.