Suppres holes without changing original part.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Good afternoon,

I want to use a part for multiple assemblies. The original part has holes for every attachment.

I want to use it for al the assemblies and suppres the holes i dont need. When i suppres these holes it changes the original part and it changes in al the other assemblies.

Is there a way to suppres them only for one assembly so it doesn´t change the original part?

17 REPLIES

Re: Suppres holes without changing original part.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

family of parts. I use it often

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Yes, you must use FOP.

Here is a video (0-2min) about this:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

If you only have two configurations of the part, (One with holes, and one without), it might be easier for you to ignore Family of Parts and simply make a Part Copy.

To do this, open a new part, select Part Copy at the upper left (picture attached), choose your part, make sure the "Link to File" checkbox at the top of the options box is checked, and then suppress/delete your holes, and save. Now you can use this detail in an assembly where you need the suppressed holes detail. This will be linked to the original part, so if you ever make changes, this will be updated as well upon open. 

This is faster than setting up a FOP, creates less files, and is easier to manage, BUT if you ever have more than two configurations of the part, things start getting messy. 

Capture.PNG

-Dylan Gondyke

Genius
Genius

I'm not a fan of using family of parts, I'd use a linked part copy and have the base version with no holes and add the various holes required to the part copy's as and when required,

Or have the original with all the holes and fill the unwanted holes in on the linked part copies,,

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Why can't one just supress what is not needed in each instance?

I think everything work out right including the final weight, details, etc...

Please le me know if I'm wrong about this.

Phenom
Phenom

12GAGE, the suppressions would carry over to the other assemblies since they happen at the part level, not at the individual assembly level.

-Dylan Gondyke

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

This is what the assembly command Replace Part with Copy was designed for. The part you require is almost identical to an existing part but being slightly defferent will have  unique part number. So bring the original into you assembly and use Replace Part with Copy to create a copy of the original with itself but with a new file name, document number, title etc.

RPwC.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Chally72. This is what I would expect. The part ends up copied and configured for each project. The point is, the details of how the part can be re-configured is all stored in a single source file and that while supressing some features the weight is still correct is all I'm looking for.

Phenom
Phenom

Like was mentioned, if it is only a few parts, using part copies or Replace part with Copy is probably easiest. Any more than that, and you probably want to handle it through Family Of Parts, which is what I assume Ken stares at all day, every day, the poor guy.

-Dylan Gondyke