Surface Pro 3 Question

Legend
Legend

I took my new Surface Pro 3 to a job meeting to discuss some details of some cladding we're doing. I had to take the keyboard off because it was too awkward to stand and hold it. If you think you might do this be sure to practice first!

Anyway, my question is: is there any way to make the radial menu come up with the Surface stylus?

I figured out how to make the context menu come up by clicking outside of the selected item and holding until it pops up. Also, Palmer cursive is the best way to enter text without the keyboard. Who knew it would ever come in useful again?

Larry K

Using SE since V12, 2002
9 REPLIES

Re: Surface Pro 3 Question

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I know our demo guys program thier 3Dconnexion mice to pull up the radial menu when working on the Surface Pro - I will ask around to see if it can be done from the Surface Pen

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Global Product Marketing}, {Siemens PLM Software}

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 10?

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Siemens Phenom

FYI:  I've run SE on both Windows 8 and now on Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3.  What I'm seeing in Windows 10 is if you hold the pen tip on the screen and then slightly move the pen, the radial menu will pop up.  I don't recall that exact same workflow in Windows 8.

Kevin Grayson

Legend
Legend
OK, I finally got it. You have to hold the stylus down in the background area until the circle thing appears and then keep it down while you move it. Then the RM pops up. Now, still keeping the stylus down, move it to the pane you want to select. If you do the same thing but just flick without holding the pen down you get the context menu.

It doesn't seem to work anywhere but in the background, so if you are zoomed in you have to zoom out or all you get is the Quick Pick dialog.

It would be nice to have an escape key equivalent, such as a spot on the screen you could tap whenever you want to clear all selections and dialogs without saving.
Using SE since V12, 2002

Siemens Phenom

Windows 8 or Windows 10?

By the way, our group found an add-in which simulates a radial menu specifically for the Surface Pen.  You can associate commands, keyboard keys (like ESC, Enter, etc) so that if you are running without the keyboard, you have access to keyboard commands (among others).

Kevin Grayson

Legend
Legend
Win 10. Is the add-in a non-SE app? I'm interested!
Using SE since V12, 2002

Siemens Phenom

Yes, it is a non-SE app. 

I have yet to test it in Win 10 but I can send you what I have.  Send me an email at the one listed below and I'll gather what I have.

Kevin Grayson

Legend
Legend

Also, you can bring up a virtual keyboard any time, but it doesn't have an escape key! Obviously they didn't look at my keyboard to see which key is the most worn out.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Siemens Phenom

yes you can.....and you can also change the keyboard to use the one that does contain an escape key.

However, because in SE we use the ESC key so much, I mapped it to the radial menu for the Surface pen.

Send me your email address.....

Kevin Grayson