Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfacing for Solid Edge masters !!! ???

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Masters

I need your advice, how to restore surface scan file.

IMG_4486.JPGIMG_4485.JPG

01 scan.jpg02 scan.jpg

the main one reguirement is smooth surface. I done mirror of half part, then tried these ways:

1) create new planes in various distances and angles. With "intersection" function from surfacing done sketches at new planes. After that, use loft comnad to connect. Problem was with edges and not clear surface. You can see not finished part's picture. I spend a lot of time to draw nice curves in sketch, but rezult is not nice

loft comand.jpg

2) I tried other way to conect sketches with surfacing comands "blue surf". I didn't finished all, because poor expierence with surfacingcomands, can't finish, because on surface are small waves, not smooth. Reason is curves on sketch, I don't know how clear copy surface. Offcourse, where are damaged sides of scan file, I make my own lines that imagine.

bluesurf.jpgbluesurf2.jpg

3) I saw in youtube videos, that other use "3D sketch" comand. I have not expierence and example at the moment with it function.

4) I thought about create new one with solids functions, like "extrude", "revolve", "sweep", "draft" ... But how to do exactly round parts, like in scan ? 

Question is, what is a way to create smooth surface ? I imagine, where are plain surface, I must copy in some way, find easy and correct functions.  create new surface where no piece of part.

Have somebody advice or can to do with attachet file example, where are round surface ? 

early thank You everybody a lot.  

8 REPLIES

Betreff: Surfacing for Solid Edge masters !!! ???

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Tomy

first approach could be to use Blue-Surfs with a "Normal-to-Section" option for the center profile.

20171123_0654.PNG

But my suggestion would be to trim back the first surface set at at ceratin distance from the center plane.

20171123_0655.PNG

Now mirror this surface about the center ref plane and complete the body with another BlueSurface and now use a "Tangent Contiunous" condition.

So You force the middle area of Your part to be smooth and tangent to both sides as well as symmetric to the center.

20171123_0656.PNG

See also the Zebra Stripe analysis of this surfaces to show the smoothness of them

20171123_0659.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Surfacing for Solid Edge masters !!! ???

Legend
Legend

Hi @Tomy

I think the quickest way to recreate this model is to make an 0mm offset surface of every scanned surfsces, trimm them/repair and stich/saw. 

If you want to get extremely smooth surface you have to use different CAD, like (Icem SURF/ Catia).

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP7
;

Re: Surfacing for Solid Edge masters !!! ???

Pioneer
Pioneer

If I do offset, I get same surface. What do you mean repair ? What is this comand repair, can't find ?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks You for info. But how to do all this armchair ? The hardest places are rounds, how to do this, like armchair's back's left-right side ? 

Phenom
Phenom

I would suggest that before attempting a complex problem such as this, that you spend some time working through some surfacing tutorials. You will then learn how bluesurf works, blending, drawing curves etc. and what will or will not work.

The example you have here with scanned data is far too complex for people to provide instructions on how to solve the problems.

You really have to have a good knowledge of surfacing to make things like this work.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer
How You solve this chalange ? What will do ? What is your advice ? Early Thank you for replay Smiley Wink

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Tomy,

Try NOT to model the completed form in one step......instead, try to break it down into primitive forms, and add blends and [maybe variable] rounds, etc, afterwards.

Is this going to be just a modelling exercise, or will it eventually be going to manufacture?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

@SeanCresswell is correct - looking at the photo of the chair you can see joint lines in the material.

These, along with the tangent curves nicely indicated by some of the shadows in the picture, should give you a breakdown of the main surfaces to model. Once you have those you can think about blending them together.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.