Swept Cut out Solid Edge V20: Orientation change of cross section

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Probably a basic question, but I can't find a solution.( Although the rail cut topic here in the database came close.)

Situation: I have a sphere.part-file on which a sketch is drawn using excell database.

Imagine drawing an 8-figure on a ping-pong ball with a pencil. (This is the sketch loaded by the curve by table.)

But now imagine I press too hard, and a scar is made on the ball.

I always keep the pencil perpendicular to the (fictive) tangent plane of the sphere on the point I'm sketching.

I want to draw this scar. I used a swept cut-out with a circular cross-section to create the figure in attachement. But in reality I need a square cross section (e.g. the point of the pencil).

When I use the square sketch, this cross section remains parallel when following the path, resulting in a wrong solution.

I think I need a locking axis or something, but I can't find it.

Does somebody have an idea?

5 REPLIES

Re: Swept Cut out Solid Edge V20: Orientation change of cross section

Hi,

is this, what you're looking for?

Options 1:
Insert a "Textprofil <=>8 " on a plane.
Project this sketch with "Surfacemodelling" on the surface of the Ball.
Use "Perpendicular Cut".

Option 2:
Sketch the profile of 8 with one closed Line/Import a sketch from DXF/DWG.
Project this sketch with "Surfacemodelling" on the surface of the Ball.
Use a second sketch with a small ball that you can use to perform your "Cut".

Yasser

[ Edited ]

Thank you, but unfortunatly this was not what I meant.

From my previous explanation this is indeed a valid solution, but the 8-figure (only ressembles an 8) is a sketch loaded in excell provided by Matlab, and is already projected onto the sphere.

This is my starting point. A normal cut would be ideal, but can't be used because only a line without thickness is provided.

I think I'll probably need to redefine the sketch, to obtain something  comparable to your projected sketch.

But this seems not the real way to do it, as I will always have to load a new sketch if I want to change the width.

Thank you, but unfortunatly this is not what I really meant.

The starting point is a sketch that is already projected onto the sphere.

A normal cut-out would be indeed a good solution if I had a closed surface, but this is not the case.

Probably I will need to redefine this sketch to obtain something similar as your projected sketch. But this would require to load a different sketch each time I wanted to change the width of the slit, and this seemed not the "real" way to do it.

[ Edited ]

Yet again thank you, but this seems to me the same situation as in the first picture, namely a circular cross section.

Every cross sectionshould be a square, with a tangent orientation to the sphere, see the upper and middel square on the first picture. A circular cross section always has the correct orientation.