Swept Cutout in an Assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All,

I am in need of adding a spiral groove to a weldment assembly. I have gotten the spiral curve onto a sketch and the cutting profile created and then realized the Swept Cutout feature is disabled in assemblies.

If I switch to a weldment I can create a swept "weld" which is the solid body of the spiral shape, but there is no body subtraction features available.

Is there a way to create a swept cut in an assembly in Solid Edge? Also curious as to why the material removal features are so limited in assemblies in general?

Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES

Re: Swept Cutout in an Assembly

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure if this is the ideal way to accompish this but it's worth a look:

If you can create the spiral groove as a part file, you can insert this into the assembly file and assemble its position relative to your other parts.  From there, use the "Subtract" command to "boolean" remove the spiral groove part from the others.  Must be on ST6 as a minimum.

Just a first thought.....

Kevin

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

Unfortunately I am on ST5 so there is no boolean body operations available in assemblies.

What I ended up settling on is offseting the spiral sketch to my desired groove width, cut extruding down the desired depth and then applying a radius on the two corners running along the groove. This does a fairly good job, a few spots where the groove punches through a sidewall get a little unusual due to the radius feature, but this is good enough to create the drafting file from.

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

there is an idea to "standaryse a cutout".

http://youtu.be/vVPP5CeQ-AI

Yasser

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Could you post a picture about your issue?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom
Hi,
I posted a link for a video demonstrating how to substract a geometry in a way to reuse this operation if needed.
Is the youtube link not correct?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Image below shows a 3 part weldment with the 2D spiral path and a simple groove profile. In the future I would want to be able to try out a more complex groove profile but without being able to sweepcut.

Spiral_Cut_01.JPG

YD - The youtube link worked correctly, however what you demonstrated was working within a solid edge part, which all of this is possible to do. My trouble is making a swept cut in an assembly of multiple parts.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I forgot to mention that a workaround method I could use is to link the path and profile sketches down to each part, also creating a "weld part" and then performing the swept cut in each part and in the assembly they would all line up.

For drafting I could suppress the swept cut feature in each part for its individual drafting and then unsuppress for the assembly drafting.

This just seems a bit painful compared to having a single swept cut feature in the assembly that it is inteded to be applied at during manufacturing.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer.

First of all, I think equation curve (as feature) is missing from SE, so hard to create archim spiral, but there are some tricks (helix protrution).

Here is a video about "my solution":

In this case you can create a "simple" cutout where the profile is a spiral and this is in assy feature.

I hope this will help!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/