Solved! Go to solution

Swept cutout from an open profile possible?

Somewhere between when I last used SE ~v18 and when I came back to it ST6.  They added the ability to make features from open profiles, this is most handy in cutting operations.  I would like to do a simple swept cut where one single line tracks along the other like a knife to perform a cut at some angle as defined by the path.  When I try this I get the "All edges selected to be used as a path or cross section must be connected" error.  I don't understand that explanation because the profile is one line and the path is one line and they share a vertex.  As soon as I close one sketch and use that as the profile it works perfect.

Of course there's plenty of other ways to do this by closing the sketch or with a regular cut from a line drawn on a plane that would be normal to the linear path for example.  The option to have two sketches on existing part faces each with one line seems so simple, other options are just more steps.  I was thinking it would work now that we can use open profiles in other places.

Has anyone used open profile in swept or lofted cutouts?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Betreff: Swept cutout from an open profile possible?

Hi @bnemec

first of all the option for open profile is in Solid Edge from the first version IMHO.

And I don't understand the request or better to say the situation completely.

If You only have a linear drive curve it is a simple protrusion cut.

So I don't see the need for a sweep cut out.

Profile plane normal to the line, profile is anoother line, ready to go.

But maybe You can show why this would make sense.

Maybe You also can use the the new ST9 feature Sweep Solid?

Best now would be a picture or test part to show Your request.

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bnemec
‎05-22-2017 01:20 PM

Re: Swept cutout from an open profile possible?

Open profiles for extruded cuts has always been in SE.

Sweep & loft cross-section profiles have to be closed - and always have been.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Re: Swept cutout from an open profile possible?

beachcomber wrote:

Open profiles for extruded cuts has always been in SE.

Sweep & loft cross-section profiles have to be closed - and always have been.

Thankyou for clarity, I must be confusing bits and pieces of the previous solid modeling software I used.  Sometimes I have a part in  my mind and I decide what I hope to be the best way to model it and start in without consciously thinking of each step, like muscle memory almost.  Now I have steps ingrained in my head from other software that obviously will not work in SE and I get off beat.  I can just close the profile and use the sweep, no big deal.

Betreff: Swept cutout from an open profile possible?

hawcad wrote:

Hi @bnemec

first of all the option for open profile is in Solid Edge from the first version IMHO.

And I don't understand the request or better to say the situation completely.

If You only have a linear drive curve it is a simple protrusion cut.

So I don't see the need for a sweep cut out.

Profile plane normal to the line, profile is anoother line, ready to go.

But maybe You can show why this would make sense.

Maybe You also can use the the new ST9 feature Sweep Solid?

Best now would be a picture or test part to show Your request.

@hawcadit sounds like you understand what I'm asking.  And yes, it would be a simple extruded cutout, except on another plane just as you state.  Sometimes we look for the smoothest way to achieve something the is most likely to successfully update with the foreseen geometry edits.  Having two sketches that are fully constrained laying on existing geometry faces and a single feature cut would be smooth and obvious to future people editing.  There are so many ways of accomplishing tasks in SE and I only know of a tiny percentage, that is why I like reading and searching the forums; all these solutions that are clean and reliable and to be more productive I need to keep learning new methods.  I try poking around in the menus and help screens to see different features and sometimes I ask for help here.  Both you and @beachcomber helped me out; need a closed profile for swept cutout, or the second option was as you said create the plane normal to the linear path.