Swinging door

Phenom
Phenom

What is the right way to organize a door file so the door can have two positions: Open and Closed?

Visual state w/ two copies of the door?

Suppression variable that edits the angle of a mate?

Suppression variable that turns one mate on and another off?

Notes:

I'm using both adjustable parts and re-sizable parts.

When the door uses springs, I have a re-sizable spring

All of my doors are re-sizable to match any opening the door is used on.

The door file includes a reference piece of sheet metal representing what the door hinge is welded too.

Planning: Right now I'm using visual states and two sets of objects that are turned on and off so I have hinges in two positions. I would like to move to a hinge that actually rotates with the door / stayes welded to the wall. This will require me to break up the hinge into two parts.

I'm just not sure the right way to control the model state with a single switch for a rotation.

33 REPLIES

Re: Swinging door

Legend
Legend

I deal with this pretty often. A nice way to  do it is to make the hinge into an adjustable part and make a multi-position assembly, Well, it would be nice if it worked reliably, but it doesn't in my experience.

If I don't need two views of the door position then I put an angle relationship in the hinge and use that to set the door open angle, after relating it fully to the door and door frame. If I need multiple positions I bring in copies of the door and set them at various angles. Then I set the new door to show as a reference in the drawing. Also go into occurance properties and make it not show in reports and properties if you need to use properties to get total weights.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Phenom
Phenom

I need the doors available in two visual positions.

To make things more complicated, in the case of a spring door like the images attached, I need the open position to determine the spring attachment. Then use that attachment position for the closed position.

It sound like I have already picked the path of least resistance. Two sets of objects with only one set going to the parts list. Display states handle if the door is shown open or closed.

In that way, I can show both the open and closed door in a single drawing.

EDIT-----

Back to the original question,,,kind of. I have never used assembly switches yet.

To show a door in two positions using mate control, do I edit a single mate and assign a switch to that position. Or do I create a mate, assign that to a switch, turn it off, then add another mate and assign it to the other position of the switch? I think switches can only be used to turn things on and off right? So I would have to use two mates and decide what mate is on. Is this the right logic?

Right now I'm using visual states w/ two sets of object. Because my objects are re-sizable (like the door size), I think I need to move to a single door instance or use an interpart copy (that I never use either)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Alternate Position Assembly is the function you need.  Single set of parts and stores positional info on relationships or allows overrides to be created.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE, Since you want the hinge to change angle as well I think I would make it an adjustable part which drives the alternate postion assembly.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

lking wrote:

I deal with this pretty often. A nice way to  do it is to make the hinge into an adjustable part and make a multi-position assembly, Well, it would be nice if it worked reliably, but it doesn't in my experience.

Perhaps you make a great point. I created a simple little assembly: A door frame, a door, and a hinge which is an adjustable part. I created an alternate position assembly hoping to drive it with the hinge but it doesn't work. I've done this before with a linear cylinder defined as an adjustable part and it works great driving a lid in a linear direction. So I don't know if there's an issue with angles. Also I found that if the adjustable part is mixed mode sync and ordered that as soon as I create an alt pos asm the ordered feature disappears although that doesn't happen with the afore mentioned linear cylinder. If I make the hinge all in ordered it's fine (except for not driving the asm). It might have to do with the hinge planes being coplanar at 180 degrees?

Anyway, I'll attach the files if anyone wants to do a sanity check.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I had to give up on this. Spent too much time trying to make it work.

My problem did not fit in a standard box of a variable assembly even though I think it should.

I have to keep moving and get production drawings done. I did start an incident report and need to send GTAC some file to work with.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE I get it. It's too bad production and and a little learning can't go hand in hand. Frustrating.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
Been there, done that. My rule is I get to use one advanced cool feature per model but when I start piling two or more on top of each other they often get very frustrating. I don't think adjustable parts work with angles. It didn't when I tried it, anyway.
Using SE since V12, 2002