Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Swinging door

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I started another model and got it to work. The adjustable hinge part drives the alternate position assemblies. Not really sure what the prior problems were.

I will say if you can make adjustable parts work you can drive alt pos asms from an adj part several levels deep in an assembly which is pretty cool.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I am in process of some feedback from GTAC. I think my real problem is that I don't really need an adjustable assembly. All I really need is for one parts rotation to float so that other mates can work.

Picture this. Stab a dice with one end of a pencil. Hold the eraser 3" off the table. Now slide the dice in the axis of the pencil projected to the table. I need the dice to rotate so that I can use the linear position of the dice to control the angle of the door that is attached to the eraser.

To have that freedome, do I need adjustable parts at all?

And as usual for me. My door is re-sizable.......effecting everything.

I'm using visual states for open vs. closed and have two sets of objects. My closed door is created with assembly driven sketched. My open door is a copy of the closed door with parts attached to the door also inserted into the open door assembly. The open door is what is being rotated with the linear position of the spring attachment.

In the open position, the spring is just a simple rod with an end that rotates.

In the closed position, I want the spring attached in the same place, the spring lengths and attachment rotation are all the changes.

Decisively complex problem.

Phenom
Phenom

I have the same problem a lot of times.

We make fixed seating, most of them have a tip-up seat.

So I make an assembly of one seat with 2 positions of the tip-up seat, for example as simple one:

FW100.png

The problem is sadly this function is not neath...

With only 2 members most of the time it goes good, but if you try more members (I once did a family with 12 members) the assembly is completely unusable because much to slow and full of errors.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2020 user

Legend
Legend
The other problem is that once you make an assembly into a family or multi-position you can't go back. And it prevents you from doing some other things with the assembly. I can't remember exactly what because I haven't tried it in a while.
Using SE since V12, 2002
ST10 certified

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I tried a family of assemblies about 12 years ago and it didn't go well.  I had 3 versions of a machine and the overhead along with making sure the "apply to all members" switch was set correctly every time.  

I currently have a product with 6 different members and I manage all of them as separate assemblies because of the issues with FOA.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

@lking wrote:
The other problem is that once you make an assembly into a family or multi-position you can't go back. And it prevents you from doing some other things with the assembly. I can't remember exactly what because I haven't tried it in a while.

You can "go back" by saving out as a new file one of the members.

Bruce Shand

@kjoiner wrote:

I tried a family of assemblies about 12 years ago and it didn't go well.  I had 3 versions of a machine and the overhead along with making sure the "apply to all members" switch was set correctly every time.  

I currently have a product with 6 different members and I manage all of them as separate assemblies because of the issues with FOA.

Kyle

I had problems FOAs about that long ago also. I'm making the speculative assumption that the workflow has been smoothed out a bit. So I'm giving it a try again. Admittedly my door assembly is very simple but we are using a linear pneumatic cylinder to drive a lid movement in an FOA (alternate position) of some complexity successfully. A good dose of stubborn persistence is sometimes necessary.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

could you give us a cad to work with. I would like to try it but it would take too much time starting from scratch. Thanks

@AlexBergeron wrote:

could you give us a cad to work with. I would like to try it but it would take too much time starting from scratch. Thanks

This is my simple assy set up with alternate positions. 4 files: asm2.asm, DoorFrame.par, Door.par, Hinge_2nd

The Hinge is an adjustable part.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have feedback from GTAC.

My nutshell problem is related to my modeling habits. Adjustable assemblies file coordinates are useless. When making an adjustable assembly, all parts in the assembly must be mated to each other, not any the assembly planes/coordinate system.

When  part is made "adjustable" only the parts in that assembly matter.

The is the opposite of what I have learned for ordered sheet metal design where I drive everything from the assembly planes to create the fewest connections possible for easy updates.