Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry transformation to a shaded 2D view

Creator
Creator

Hi everyone!

I have Solid Edge ST6 with Foundation license.

I'm trying to do a symmetry transformation to a shaded 2D view in my .dft drawing, but I am not able to do so because SE is doing something very weird. For some reason, SE does a perfect symmetry with the wireframe part (outline of the shaded geometry), but with the shaded part is not able to do so, and makes a 180º rotation instead: 

j.png

These are the steps that I am following to try to do so: 

• First of all, I transform my view into a 2D view in order to break the link to the 3D:

k.jpg

• Next, I transform using the symmetry tool: 

simetria2.png

As you may see, the result is OK for the wireframe part, but a 180º rotation for the shaded part. 

Anybody knows why I am having this issue and how I might be able to fix it? 

Otherwise, any ideas how I could achieve what I am looking for (symmetry transformation to a shaded view) with a different transformation/approach?

Thank you very much in advance,

Jose 

6 REPLIES 6

Betreff: Symmetry transformation to a shaded 2D view

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @jomocas 

and what speaks against doing the mirror in 3D instead of using a dead 2d view?

I have tested (TBH I never ever had thought about such a procedure) to mirror a shaded iso view and what I have got was a mirrored wire view with a non mirrored shaded.

But nevertheless, I would do this in 3d rather than 2d

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Servus Wolfgang, 

Thank you very much for your fast reply. 

The reason why we are trying to mirror is because we have a Left Hand Side and a Right Hand Side version (for which 25% of the parts are a mirror image, and 75% of the parts a 180º rotation) of the machine, and we would like to have only one 3D design (less work, less mistakes, less files, etc.). 

Moreover, mirroring the 3D is undesirable for us because SE creates automatically new parts with the suffix "_mir", which we would like to avoid. Furthermore, doing so would mean having double the amount of parts or subassemblies, and this complicates a lot design management for us. Moreover, as explained above, not all parts of the machine are a mirror image, some of the parts are a 180º rotation. 

Thank you for testing. I am not sure to have understood correctly. Your result was identical to mine, wasnt it? 

Any other ideas how I might me able to do this? Maybe using some other tool? 

Thank you very much again. 

MfG,

Jose

Hi @jomocas 

during the mirror function in ASM You can define the wanted file names according to Your requests.

the _mir is a default value to define new filenmaes based on the original file names.

Also, SE is recognizing the possibility of rotate parts rather than mirror all of them.

And for a clean and 100% 3D database You will need them at all.

But if this is not You intend, then I also would not place a view of something onto the draft which doesn't exist.

Put a text line onto indicating one part as shown one mirrored, as we did in the good old times when creating manual drawings on paper

If this is ok for You and Your production, then it is ok.

If You want a "virtual" copy of the real products You will need those mirrored elements too.

But this is something You have to decide.

regards
Wolfgang

I agree with @hawcad. Having just a virtual assembly which in reality would contain mirrored parts that you don't want to have models of seems disjointed and contradicts the ostensible dictum of "single source of truth". And contrary to having double the amount of files you would have only 25% more models since rotation in the mirror command doesn't create new parts.

But, as always, different strokes for different folks.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

Hi guys, 

So I resigned myself with the previous approach (2D shade mirror view), and decided to follow your advice. 

I managed to achieve the complete mirrored 3D. The problem comes now with the previously created views. Since our transformed .asm is a perfect mirror of a base design, we would like to conserve and re-use the created views in the base design.

asd.png

We copied and renamed the .cfg file of the base design. After this, all the previously created views of the base design appear in the mirrored design. The problem is that they are all completely empty. I understand SE treats the mirrored/rotated entities as a different entity (vs the original base entity), which is why the views are empty. 

Any ideas how I might be able to solve/bypass/workaround this problem? 

Any ideas on how to conserve the previously created views after mirroring?

Thank you very very much in advance!

BR, Jose

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I absolutely agree with guys here, but if you need for a "mirrored" drawing view I suggest making a mirrored model on part level. This will generate only one plus file, but it the associativity will stay between drawing view and model.

Here is a video about steps:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/