Sync edit - Concentric geometry, change in one step?

Hello,

I'm picking up Sync a bit and looking at a few examples in our business.  I'm trying to figure out if there is a way using ST that I can change the overall diameter of this part and all corresponding concentric faces change to match?  In effect they maintain their relationships but the diameter of the part increases.  

I've not been able to manage it, therefore it seems I would have to do each in step which is not that efficent?  

2016-12-15 14_40_13-Solid Edge ST8 - Synchronous Part.jpg

Thanks,

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12
11 REPLIES

Re: Sync edit - Concentric geometry, change in one step?

In ST9, there is a new "Offset" Design Intent where it can recognize thicknesses and offsets (like the one with your inner and outer diameters) such that a change to one will change the other maintaining the offset value.  With the example you show, however, you might still have to apply dimensional or face relationships between the geometry to update hole pattern locations.  It won't be a "one edit changes all" kind of thing. 

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Live Sections help with round parts.

Try driving the pattern diameter.

ST.gif

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Hi Jason,

nice GIF. How did you make it? Special tool or by hand?

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Betreff: Sync edit - Concentric geometry, change in one step?

Hi @Guy_H77,

bsides all the mentioned ways and methods, don't forgett, that with sync You also can use Your variables in the same way as You did and do it in ordered.

There is no difference.

The dimensioni type only must be set to drive!

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @grayson

"Offset" Design Intent might be a good new function.

They only I have seen is, that within one and the same part, with one and the faces the offset design intent sometimes is recognized and the next time not.

For me at the moment there is no 100% repeat factor of wether or not offset will be hold or maybe not.

OK, I can define an offset by myslf and I can do it as permanent, but the idea of "Design Intent" is, that it will be done by itself, and not by user interaction.

5 minutes ago I had this situation, trying to repeat this test part.

First time changing of the outer diameter changed the inne by offset too, next time 1 minute later it didn't

I started SE new, modelled the part new from scratch and at the moment "Offset" is not working.

But I have seen it 5minutes ago!

Grazy!

regards
Wolfgang

Hi at all,

at least I have found out, why the offset will work sometimes and why not in the next situation.

Using the test part as seen, with an outer and an inner cylinder, the offset works good as long as the difference of the diameters is less then 50mm by an absolut outer dia of 125mm.

Therefore as long as the inner cylinder is greater than 75mm the offset is recognized.

When - and I turned off offset therefore - I changed the diameter to 75mm - and then turn on again the offset intent, then it will not be recognized anymore.

So, just learned something new, the offset intent only works within a limited area relativ to the absolut face dimensions!

At least it shows so to me!

regards
Wolfgang

JasonTitcomb wrote:

Live Sections help with round parts.

Try driving the pattern diameter.

ST.gif

Thanks, that's useful to know.  My part is converted from ordered, I'm having trouble driving the pattern diameter.  I'll do some testing.

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Camtasia Studio. Not free.

It does get annoying after a while though. Just thought I would try it.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Just an FYI that you can also make animated GIF screen captures using the newest version of Snagit. Same developer as Camtasia but much cheaper albeit not nearly as powerful. 

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10