Sync start

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm trying to move to Sync modeling. I have a very simple question.

In sync mode, what is the right way to nail down a corner of the first piece of sheet metal to the center of the base coordinate system? In ordered, I forced lines from the corner of the sketch on the XZ plane to be co-linear with the X and Z axis.

19 REPLIES

Re: Sync start

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here a just a couple ways:

http://www.screencast.com/users/kgrayson/folders/Default/media/e0cc8591-ff60-47df-8683-7cdfc39c7ebf

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the vid, but the sketches will not be in control after the part is made.

Taking this a step further. I have attached my first attempt at making my first part of what I would call a parametric box. My goal is to control the X,Y, and Z size of the box with one corner of the box always at the origin. The rest of the assembly driven parts will be ordered refancing faces of this part.

Can anybody show me the right way to get this one simple part working from X Y and Z dimensions. right now I can't figure out why I can't edit  X or Y, Z is working the way I want it too.

Typically, I start with planes and all parts referance the planes using ordered only. My goal is to eliminate the need for plane control, and as a result, gain the ability to use family of parts.

__________edit________

With just another few mins, I did figure out how to get X,Y, and Z in control, but the question still remains, Is this the best way to start a  parametric box?

________EDIT 2_________

Is there a way to get some of the part controlled by flat pattern dimensions? In this case, I would like the flanges on the open end of the box to always have 1" from the bend line to the end of the flange no matter what the thickness or bend R is.

MLombard
Retired

In Sync, there is special weight applied to a face being on the base coordinate system. To move a face from the XY plane, you'd have to turn off a default Live Rule. So if you sketch from the origin, your faces should be locked to that corner unless you turn off that Live Rule.

In the blog for the community, do a search on Live Rules. There are a couple of cool articles.

Does that help?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Legend
Legend

If you end up making the box so the faces are not co-planer to the origin you can move it to the right place by selecting the whole thing and using the steering wheel to move it. Pick the center of the wheel and attach it to some point on the face you want to make co-planer, then pick the arrow and move it by picking the center of the base coordinate system. Be sure you have endpoint picking selected or you will not be able to pick that point. Keep doing this for all the faces that are not right. After that it should be locked to base and not move unless you release that constraint.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

In your example two of the faces will (or should) lie on the base planes. s such then live rules will apply to those faces and they will not move off the planes.

If you further want to "lock" the thickness edge to the same base planes then apply a coplanar face relationship.

The video should make things clear. Also there is no need to lock all the dimensions.

(view in My Videos)

Spend a little time learning how live rules work and you will save many many hours in modelling.

Cheers

Mark

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi MF

I'd be really interested to know why you say "There is no need to lock all the dimensions"

Why not?

If dimensions aren't locked,

How is the model dimensionally constrained?

What prevents inadvertent alteration?

What advantage do you see in deliberately not locking dimensions?

Thanks.

David

MLombard
Retired

You're probably too accustomed to the history-based way of doing things where if you have things improperly constrained, they can move in ways you don't expect them to. In reality, nothing changes unless you make it change. With Sync, if you don't drive things directly, or with dimensions or relations or Live Rules, then they don't move.

Live Rules can be used with default settings, turned off entirely or selectively. When Live Rules change things, it will identify which faces have changed.

A model doesn't just fall apart on its own, so there is no need to "fully constrain" things, the way you learned with history-only modeling. Something has to drive the change. What you learned with the need to fully constrain things was that the history-only method is very unreliable.

To me, this is a much better method than counting on sketch relations.

I'm sure others have different reasons or at least a different way of saying it.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Perhaps I'm missing something here Matt,

Look at this short video and tell me again that nothing changes in Synchronous unless I change it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfmKP_xF6yQ&feature=youtube_gdata

You'll see I change one unlocked dimension and two others change on their own and another undimensioned face changes position, also on its own. At no time were any of these changes highlighted by Live Rules or anything else.

Maybe fully constraining in Synchronous is just as important as in Ordered?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Locking the dimensions is necisarry to have them in control. The entire bases of my files is to have an X,Y, and Z variable that control the overal size of a sheet metal box. Right now I use planes for this in ordered.

I have yet to find any good training vid's on live rules or anything other then introductory Sync concepts. I'm working alone and don't have any others to ask questions other than this forum and GTAC.

To me the largest difference of Sync vs Ordered for sheet metal is that I can no longer separate the flat from the bends. They become interrelated and can't be managed separately. In ordered I could add bend to an existing flat part and manage them separately.

Finding that some of the sheet metal tools are Ordered only. Moving to sync will required some Ordered features and some ordered parts depending on the specifics of each part. This is discouraging as one moves to sync. The only reason I'm trying to use Sync at all is to eliminate my use of planes driving my parts. If I can remove planes from my models, then I can gain the ability to use family of parts.

Because Sync can't see ordered features, and because mixing up the use of both Sync and ordered is required, the learning curve is steap.