Solved! Go to solution

Synchronous-Add Taper/Draft to Cylinder?

For the Synchronous Experts out there, I'm wondering how to use the Steering Wheel to add a taper to a cylinder that I modeled. Short story, I modeled the cylinder and then later realized I need to have a 2deg draft on it.  The 3.75 dia should be at the base of the radius on the shoulder side.  The end diameter should be smaller.

I could add a Draft feature in Synchronous, or change to Ordered and do the same thing.  But, I really want to know if there is a way to do it with the Steering Wheel.Cap.jpg

Solution
Accepted by topic author swertel
‎12-11-2016 09:28 PM

Betreff: Synchronous-Add Taper/Draft to Cylinder?

Hi,

AFAIK there is no method to put the draft onto the cylinder using the steering whell only

You have to use a draft or a revoultion cutout/protrusion.

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks for the confirmation.  At least now I'm confident it wasn't just me missing something.

Re: Synchronous-Add Taper/Draft to Cylinder?

Scott-
Draft is already a "procedural" feature. You mentioned that already.

Hey, I did think of this. Could you turn on sectioning and then adjust the angle? It's not quite the steering wheel but actually might be more intuitive and definitely more visual.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author swertel
‎12-11-2016 09:28 PM

Nope, you aren't missing anything.  Can't use Live Section either.  A Cylinder is one of those geometric forms that are maintained no matter what during Synchronous edits, so you have to basically change it to a cone with something else (Draft, Revolved Cutout) and then use the Steering Wheel to edit.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

@Grundey Ken, you are right. I was pretty certain you could use the live section to make the change. Sounds like a simple enough change.

Then when you think about what synchronous technology is supposed to do it, makes sense. ST won't create geomery and it won't change the face type. In this case we would be moving from a cylinder to cone. That would be like attempting to change a planar face to toridal face.

That cold make for an interesting case for the Catchbook sketching. In there you can double click a line segment and turn it into an arc- with three control points. Likewise, you can turn an arc into a line. Pulling that type of functionality into the live sketch logic would be pretty sweet.

I think they need two rule sets.  One for the Steering Wheel face selected, and then another for all the reactive faces.  That way you can do things to change the face you have selected to another type but the reactive faces will not change type.

I think a lot of Synch development is based on what the "logical person" would attempt to do.  I would think it logical to want to change a cylinder to a cone, especially with Live Section...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Re: Synchronous-Add Taper/Draft to Cylinder?

Hi,

Solid Edge doesn't support to add draft to model via Steering Wheel. Sc supports it, what is very cool:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

[ Edited ]

Grundey wrote:

A Cylinder is one of those geometric forms that are maintained no matter what during Synchronous edits, so you have to basically change it to a cone with something else (Draft, Revolved Cutout) and then use the Steering Wheel to edit.

Taking a clue from this, I did my own little investigation using the free TopoTools app.

Untitled.png

The ID changes with a revolved cutout but not when a Draft is applied to the the face meaning the face is replaced in the revolved cutout operation but not in the Draft command, leading me to think that it should be possible to implement in Sync in a way similar to that illustrated by @Imics.

Only development knows some inherent problems with such changes, perhaps just lack of an ER Robot Happy

~Tushar

[ Edited ]

IR# 7901579

I created the incident report asking for this ability.  When the IR gets assigned, I'll update this post.

EDIT: The ER has been assigned, same number as the IR.