Solved! Go to solution

Synchronous Copy Mirror

Hi, I am trying some basic sync stuff and sure doing something wrong.

Trying to copy and also mirror the feature on the other side/corner of the part as in video below:

This is not a sheetmetal part.

What is the correct way to do this ?

Thanks.

~Tushar

9 REPLIES

Re: Synchronous Copy Mirror

Tushar,

In this case, try selecting both protrusions features to then run the mirror command.....

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I wish Synch would recognize a FEATURE and allow both Mirror and Copy of these features intelligently. As your video shows it can only grab faces. But as Sean points out Mirroring works but you still need to ADD the two missing faces that complete these features.

Watch here:  http://screencast.com/t/MFx1TVsr

Copying does't work in your example even if you grab these two extra faces. Which can be a PIA  in some instances.

Again I wish SE had a "Smart" Copy or Mirror of Features that captures the additional faces needed for the new added Feature. They should be treated like a SOLID instead of just a bunch of faces.

Bob

Thanks Sean. That worked great !  Smiley Happy

This is not a real assignment and I am only playing around.

How do I go about 'copying' the circular protrusion to, say, the middle of the larger tab or to the other end like in the video.

Selecting both protrusions for copying resulted in this:

~Tushar

Thanks Bob. that greatly enhanced my understanding of ST.

The video is nice too.

Also, I could feebly hear a voice over in it; must be some issue with my speakers or headphones.

~Tushar

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tushar
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

[ Edited ]

Tushar,

Your result is because of the plane used for the mirror....the reason for including the other face set [Protrusion 1] is because to resolve it back to a solid, it needs the missing top face.

I wish I was as good at Sync as some here...as I still feel I have a whole lot of learning to do yet.

In my version of your example, I added another instance, using an offset plane and made another mirror of the original tab.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Sean, I am still not able to get the third instance in the middle even after adding another offset plane. Please describe more how you achieved it, which faces did you select for mirror creating the third instance.

Meanwhile, I worked out this little hack since I wanted to copy (say) the small protrusion a specific distance from the end. Not sure if any one would approve of this, but it ends up in pretty much what I need:

~Tushar

Tushar,

I think your split face method is just fine......my mirror to the opposite end worked fine, but placing an instance at a random locale along it first, had undesirable results. Placing another after the end mirror works as expected though.....see my "rough" video.

[sorry buddy, I'm a little slammed for time at work right now to do more]

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Got it at 1.02

So 'selection' is the key to successful synchronous modeling !

Thanks a lot for the video Sean Robot Happy

~Tushar

Good info here on sync methodology. It would seem more intuitive to just select the tab and hole. I was also able to get the center tab by doing a copy move selecting the same items as for the mirror. Although it creates a broken dim for the top face.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200