Synchronous Ellipse

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm still learning Solid Edge and trying to figure out the differences between Synchronous and Ordered. I have a very basic question. When I create an ellipse in Synchronous I can change the dimensions of the sketch, but once I extrude the ellipse into a solid, I can no longer change the ellipse dimensions, even with the face tools. Am I missing something? See attached.

ellipse.PNG

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
2 REPLIES

Re: Synchronous Ellipse

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @David_McMahon,

No, this is one of a few things [they are becoming less all the time] that are "better" done in Ordered mode, if you need to have downstream editing.....in this instance, simply delete the body, adjust the original sketch & recreate the extrusion body, if you need to stay in Synchonous.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Synchronous Ellipse

Phenom
Phenom

Yep, @SeanCresswell is correct. Synchronous is simple best described as a WYSIWYG tool. What you see is what you get or in the ST sense what you see is what you can edit and modify.

The sketch doesn't drive the model it is used to define the original shape. Once you have the 3D feature you rely on the intelligence of the solvers to resolve the changes in faces. An ellispe is a special case since it is a single face that has multiple "parameters" which you don't have access to inside of Sync Mode.