Syncronous - how to modify part ?

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I have got one question - can you please tell me how to modify the sheetmetal or part using syncronous method ?

In ordered method I can use the sketches to control the part and modify them, how it works using syncronous ?

Can you please direct me to some video links ?

Thank you

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP10
10 REPLIES

Betreff: Syncronous - how to modify part ?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Arek,

best place for starting Your personal training will be the Solid Edge Training page.

You get there when entering the help bar and selecting the SelfPase Tutorials

20161101_1652.PNG

From there You will find the examples where also the sheet metall beginners example will be found:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/se/109/se_help/de_DE/selfPacedExt/se...

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Syncronous - how to modify part ?

Phenom
Phenom

PS.:

Synchronous modeling is based on directly selected geometry to modify it.

So there is no need for a sketch with diemsnions, etc. but in exactly the same manner or very similar You can have them directly connected to the 3D model.

Main control object therefore is the "wonderful" steering wheel.

Make You  familary with it and learn to love it.

It really is great!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Syncronous - how to modify part ?

Phenom
Phenom

I'm one of the people  who is not using Sync. My focus is sheet metal.

In general, I want to know the object is 5" long, so then I can decide for it to be say 7" long.

In sync, this requires PMI dimenions all over the place that makes the model cluttered. I don't want to be turning dimensions on an off all the time. The workflow of dimenions being on when the sketch is being edited is what happens in ordered.

Is there a way to make Sync work that way, where the current dimension shows up only when it's being edited? 

I know how much it's changing shows up while using the stearing wheel, The problem is that I have been working with dimensions realtive to some referance since I first started 2D drafting. Difficult habbit to break.

The other problem I have had when attempting to use sync is that I can't add relations (within a parts geometry) one at a time, the software want to check all the relations at once and allows you to turn them off, very difficult to sort out.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I find the PMI dim clutter annoying as well. One of the good things about ordered is that feature control dims are "hidden" in sketches instead of plastered all over the model. It would be nice if sync was smart enough to turn on only those dims affected by the mod being attempted. A possible help is to group PMI dims and name the group in a way that helps sort out dims. It is more "management" overhead though.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

but if You have turn off all dims and You select a face (surface) then automatically the related dimensions will be shown to allow You Your intended changes and are hidden automaitcally  after unselect them.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad, You are right about that! Has that always been the case? If so, I will slink away quietly Smiley Happy

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

But the dim's I want to control are from one end of the model to the other. No one part has that dimension. 

Right now I do this with planes, then sketches on planes. The plane location determines the locations of the sketch and as a result, the location and size of the part.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Bruce @bshand,

at least for many version of Solid Edge this behaviour is exactly like that

I cann't say wether this was from ST1 on or if it came in later version.

But I think at least since ST4.

I have to look into the old "What's New"

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @12GAGE

but who will prevents You from dimension this total length from one end to the other?

Does it make any difference wether You draw a sketch or a ref plane to get this value or to simply dimension the geometry in that moment it is there?

regards
Wolfgang