Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

TC AWC on mobile (iOS) - AWESOME!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I know there is a separate TC forum...   I am posting this here for the sake of my SE friends...

I am OOO this week but have the need to support some of my folks back in the office. 

I have TC Rich Client (RAC) at the office so have not made time to play with Active Workspace (AWC) yet as I have not had a need.

This week the need arose; I am Amazed.  From the palm of my hand on my iPhone, I can connect to the VPN and then access our AWC environment.  Now I can switch to my admin role, find items as needed per user request and make changes as needed and even submit to workflow.   I have a whole new realm of mobile office...

Super excited,  If you have the need and have AWC or have yet to set it up...  this is super low hanging fruit!

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7
14 REPLIES 14

Re: TC AWC on mobile (iOS) - AWESOME!

Gears Phenom

@Johnson_BigMatt  - It is nice to hear people really like it. What version are you running? Have you tried hosting AW in your CAD applications yet? Then you don't need the full RAC installation on the clients. 

Jamie Griffis | Teamcenter Architect | Applied CAx, LLC

Gears Phenom

@Jamie_Griffis    AWC 3.4   Our 1st rollout was just for ECM processes and consuming data, our next will be for CAD integrations.  Very much looking fwd to that... 

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Johnson_BigMatt I believe with TC 12, you lose the old web client and your only option is now AWC or RAC.

I have a test server set up that I hope to start testing but still having an issue getting the 3D Viewer to work in AWC.  Engaged GTAC yesterday afternoon and made progress but still an issue with "Failed to load viewer".

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom

@KennyG  - You are correct, webclient is gone in TC12.

Are you running IIS or J2EE for your test environment? Do you have a Vis server set up for AW? Or are you going to try the new client side rendering of the JT's? I've set up a Vis server and it had some weirdness that Gtac couldn't figure out. The VisPool Assigner wasn't starting properly until I hit it's address from a browser (http://HOSTSmiley TongueORT/net_assigner). Once I hit that address, then the VisPool Assigner would start properly and the viewer worked in AW as expected.

@Jamie_Griffis I'm using IIS and the vis server set up.  AWC shows the viewer Pool assigner connected to the server manager which is connected to Vis processes, but when I attempt to view content in AWC I get a "Failed to load viewer".

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom

@KennyG - This could be so many different issues then. You might start with turning the debugging on for AW viewer to see if you can get a better error in the log files. I'd start suggesting more things but you are already working with Gtac.

1.%TC_ROOT%\vispoolmanager\jetty\jettyservice.properties:

### Log4j ### 
#log4j.configuration=main/resources/log4j.xml 
#log4j.configuration=main/resources/log4j.info.xml 
#log4j.configuration=main/resources/log4j.debug.xml 
log4j.configuration=main/resources/log4j.trace.xml

### TCVis debugging: ### 
VisPoolProxy.envset.TCVIS_DA_DEBUG_LOG=True 
VisPoolProxy.envset.TCVIS_LOGGING_LEVEL=DEBUG

2. Restart the Visualization Pool Manager

3. Reproduce the problem

So you guys have exceeded my pay grade in terms of understanding. But how do you use it? I mean, for what purpose? JT viewers in my experience are very weak for things like measurements. Is the TC/AWS viewer/inspect functionality a cut above? I can't feature using it for that on a small device. Basic markups and workflow? I guess. I'm thinking the main use for it for our group might be functional checking of a design/drawing while on the road and fielding questions.

Help a brother out here.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom

@bshand  - Active Workspace is going to replace the Teamcenter client (RAC) someday, or that is what Siemens keeps telling us. They've got rid of Thin Client (webclient) now in TC12, so if you want to use TC via the web then you'll need AW. It isn't just for JT viewing. It should be able to do all you do in the RAC - create items, revise, add data, modify, save as, workflows, reporting, markups, searching, etc. It is about 80% of the way there to cover all the additional special modules as well. I've set it up several places without the JT viewer because they didn't want to spend that extra cost. They just wanted a simple TC UI for the non-CAD users in the company. Go on to YouTube and search for Teamcenter Active Workspace. You'll find a ton of videos that show the functionality.

Gears Phenom

@bshand 

My personal benefit is the ease of access and administrative edits.

I am typically in multiple environments throughout the day: Production, Testing, Sandbox...  etc

As a user needs me to do a task, I must shut down, run scripts to change environments, log back in and perform the task...  then repeat to get back to my original environment and task... 

Since AWC is simply a webpage... I can keep my RAC pointed to any environment I need to be in and simply launch the AWC URL to the appropriate environment and complete the user task as needed.   These, for me, are typically attribute changes.  Adding or removing property metadata that a standard user does not have access to modify.   Also as mentioned, I was OOO last week for an unforeseen emergency.  During this time out of office, I was able to continue to support my team via AWC on my cell phone...  this was the key point to all of this...   

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7