Table in Draft

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have spent a few hours trying to replicate the table from attached jpg, but without success. Is it possible at all or am I better off to create it in excel and import it? This is the first time I am trying to create a not so simple table, so I might be missing something.

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro
6 REPLIES

Re: Table in Draft

Phenom
Phenom

The tables built into SE have much to be desired. The most important shortcoming is the inability to place a variable into a single cell of the table.

All SE tables are row or column based. There are decent controls for formatting columns a rows with available data from variables.

If you need to place variables into specific cells of a table there are two ways to get this done.

1. Use excel and display a spreadsheet directly.

2. Use old school annotation display. I end up adding and removing spaces to get the column to line up decent. A more complex work around that at least displayed columns is a separate column of annotation for each column in the table. Then display however many separate columns of annotation are required.

#2 updates much easier and I use that. I have been pressing for the ability to display annotation within a specific cell of tables since I started using the software two years ago.

Pioneer
Pioneer

the table in question actually is a standard tolerance table and doesn't drive anything (no variables). I would be copying it into many different drawings. Does that make it a better fit for using excel?

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Many of our standard tables are .dft blocks or copied from a .dft which contains them. So we make a header row with fixed text and changeable text (block labels) rows below. Then edit the properties of the block to change text fields.

As always it depends on your specific purposes and needs.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

So I might be best off to draw it up in draft and save as a block. I guess that will work.

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro

Genius
Genius

Yea, I would draw that up and put it in your draft template file along with your title block.

Pioneer
Pioneer

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Initial setup took some time, but now I have a table that is fully customizable and can be modified for other purposes.

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro