Solved! Go to solution

Tangent Mate Alignment

I'm trying to mate a disk to flat surface and using the tangent mate to do so, however I don't know how to which side of the face the disk will align. Attached video to illustrate. 

Thanks.

(view in My Videos)

8 REPLIES

Re: Tangent Mate Alignment

Tangency is only one relationship in a network of relationships needed to place a part. The tangent relationship only defines the relationship of the curved surface to target plane. Remember that the target plane is infinite and that the side of the target plane (normal) is not defined. To fully locate your object more relationships are required.
If you have a particular arrangement in mind I am sure that the group will assist.
Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark, but the part is aligned on two other faces, so only need the tangent mate to fully constrain it. 

Once you create the tangent, you can hit the Flip button to flip it to the other side if it is not on the side of the plane that you want.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I was looking for something like that but didn't see it, where is it?

What version are you using?

I think it's called Design 1. 

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Garnet
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Once you create the tangent relationship, you will be put into the process of creating the next relationship. At that point, go to the dropdown list of relationships on the command bar (the list next to the relationship type button where you selected the tangent relationship). Select the tangent relationship you just created and a ribbon will appear with the 'Flip' button on it. Starting with ST7, that ribbon will appear automatically. The other way you could do it is exit the command to get back to Select Tool once you have created the tangent. Then, select either of the parts and select the tangent relationship in the lower portion of the Pathfinder once it appears. At that point, a ribbon will appear in the graphic view that has a few things you can edit for the relationship - there is a Flip button on there as well. You can also RMB on the relationship and there is a Flip option on the context menu.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Greg, okay that works, thanks. Funny that the Flip button only shows up once I exit mates and go back in to edit the mate.