Tapered Rectangular Hopper with the Bottom and Top Flanges out of One Piece

Builder
Builder

Hello All,

I wonder what is the ideal way to design vertical rectangular (top and bottom open) hopper, with the four top and four bottop horizontal (or angled) mitered flanges pointing to the outside from one piece of the flatened sheet metal in Ordered sheet metal environment.

I am always doing it with 2 pcs of 2 separate sheet metal sides, mitering ends etc, but it's 2016 and perhaps I did miss something.

It's very easy to make the box with the closed bottom (using Tab), sides with top flanges (using Contoured Flange), but one piece hopper described above is not doable as far as I know in simple way.

Thanks for the help.

Milan.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2017
11 REPLIES

Re: Tapered Rectangular Hopper with the Bottom and Top Flanges out of One Piece

Legend
Legend

I can't seem to get a clear vision of what you are describing. Can you give a visual of what you're looking to achieve?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Builder
Builder

For the simplicity I've just modelled square opening hopper from the same 4 separate sides, the way I am doing it for the years.

Someone may prefer to 'do more bending and less welding' with less parts.

It's way I did post the question.

Thanks for the interest.

Attached parts are in ST8 MP4.

Milan.

AAA Engineering, Canada

Legend
Legend

screenshots maybe? ST7 user, so I can't open your files.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Builder
Builder

Please review the screen shots.

As You see in the side piece, I un-bend the part, do the top and bottom flange cutout to create small welding gaps between neighbouring flanges and re-bend it back.

AAA Engineering, Canada

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

You can do the body as one folded sheetmetal piece with a single seam. Then weld the flanges on. The flanges could be either one-piece cut from plate or four individual pieces cut from flat bar.  There are many ways to skin the cat...

Legend
Legend

"You can do the body as one folded sheetmetal piece with a single seam. Then weld the flanges on. The flanges could be either one-piece cut from plate or four individual pieces cut from flat bar."

I'm not sure if I see how a press brake can form the body in one piece. It looks to me that it would have to be two pieces, but maybe I'm missing something.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
You are quite right -- my bad. Upon reflection most of the stuff we do here is in fact two-piece not one-piece. Most often, though, the flanges tend to be cut in one piece from plate.

Legend
Legend

We try to do flanges similar to this in two pcs as well, to help with nesting to cut. If we have parts that go along with the project that can fit inside the one piece flange, then we will cut that way. But, usually we aren't that lucky..............

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

BoatTech wrote:

I'm not sure if I see how a press brake can form the body in one piece. It looks to me that it would have to be two pieces, but maybe I'm missing something.

We do this from time to time, when the size & taper is within reach of the tooling, or clears the press frame......working at one end of the press.

Could do it that way [if it suited the press] and weld tabs into the open corners.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10