Tapered hole in draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

I've been using Solid Edge for quite a while and on occasion I have the need to model a tapered hole (SAE ports are common).  Usually in the drat I would do a section and dimension the details, but I had the crazy though, "why not just throw a callout on it".  I remember now why I always section them.  I can't find any special characters to pull the taper angle of the hole feature into the callout.  I'm amazed that after using Solid Edge from version 18, that we still can't pull in the angle of a tapered hole.  Has anyone found some special undocumented combination that will reference it?  Is this really still not available?

Russ

5 REPLIES

Re: Tapered hole in draft

Phenom
Phenom

Hello Russ,

Have you tried exposing the taper angle from the variable table and then using the %{Hole_1_TaperAngle/CP|G} in the callout ?

taperanglecallout.png

Is this what you are looking for ?

~Tushar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Actually that's not a bad idea.  Especially as a work around on a feature-by-feature, part-by-part basis.  Long term though in our production environment, I don't think that solution will go over very well with the team.

But thanks for the suggestion, I really hadn't considered trying that.

Russ

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

What is your favorite number? Eight? Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We're still on ST7, but I recently learned that ST8 now has some special character codes that can be used with tapered holes.  I was excited for a moment.  I read through the help file about the topic and found that it still doesn't give the angle.  Just the Ratio and tip diameter.  SAE style ports have the taper defined by the top-out diameter, not the bottom (see pic from Parker oring catalog).  So I guess we're still out of luck.

Russ

Ive often thought the same when I was modeling some of our port holes and to me, sectioning was just easier
Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments