Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teamcenter Rapid Start

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Is there any of you who use or have used Teamcenter Rapid Start.  I would like to know how easy or difficult it is to install, get started and use.

Thank you,

André Bourgault
16 REPLIES

Re: Teamcenter Rapid Start

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ABourgault

If you find a way how to install this monster - please share / inform me.

Going through the Manual, step by step it is like drive through hell.

So far without success.

regards,

Arek

Pioneer
Pioneer

arrekul,

Do you have a link to that document that you can share?

Thank you,

André Bourgault

Good evening André,

Please see link below, there are mountains of information and documents. I suppose you do have a webkey account.

Just a quick question, don't you have a VAR that can help?

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.3/PDF/#uid:index

Kind regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Pioneer
Pioneer
Theodore,

Thanks. I found that place about 5 minutes before you replied.

Yes, we have a VAR but I think it would be good for us if the had more competition.
André Bourgault

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Honestly, if you are going to try to tackle a TC install by yourself it is well worth investing in Teamcenter training.  But then again if you are going to pay for TC training you might be better served using that money to pay your Partner to help you with your installation.

Pioneer
Pioneer
We will certainly have it installed by our VAR, we already have quote from them for the installation and the administration, but I like to know a minimum so I can challenge them on their price, schedule or any other point.
André Bourgault

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am on Teamcenter Rapid Start now.  Started with Rapid Start's predecessor Teamcenter Express 4.1 (TC 8.3) After a bungled install by an inexperienced VAR rep and an incompetent IT person (ours) on an underpowered server, I did my own install on a new server.  It was quite the endeavor, and the total success/failure of the process depends on getting the right person on the phone!  Right, UK Dave???.  That being said, the install routines have improved greatly since 2009 and the totally random errors have been much less prevalent since then (at least in my experience.  I will warn that the errors you do get will not have much to do in the way of actually relating to your issues.

My biggest tip is to set up VMware on a hot PC and clone your bare server and dry run.  VMWare snapshots are very helpful.  Screenshot every screen as filled out.and paste them into a Word document.  This way if things go wrong GTAC can see exactly what you entered.  Also screenshot any cryptic errors you get.  Look at the install logs after a successful install as there are some errors you may encounter (that can be deal breakers) even though the install ends with a successful message. 

Once you run your routines successfully on a clone of your actual server, chances are your actual install will go fine.  I did a bare server install of 10.1.4.2 from the patch superkit recently on an extra server for testing some update routines, and it executed flawlessly. 

Unless you do some spoofing on your VM you will have to get your license file set to the name/CID of the virtual server and then changed back to the CID of your actual server.  Or set up licensing on your network beforehand.  I also recommend when starting from scratch, to do a basic server install with no extra features, and then use TEM and add/remove features to add the extras that you are going to use.  Don't try to install the whole bag of tricks at once.  Then you will know where the issues, if any, are. 

The documentation sucks.  I love having Gigabytes devoted to documentation with the occasional disclaimer that some details may not apply to RS users.  It would be really nice if Siemens gave Rapid start it's own documentation.  Go into the Help library and find the PDFs buried 6 levels deep in zip files.  Put them in a folder where you can find them.  Good luck!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Jim, my friend, ah those were the days.  And if I remember correctly you broke me so badly with supporting your Teamcenter install that I had to run off back to Europe just to recover ;-)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I guarantee you regretted ever giving me your email ID!  I notice you don't post under your full name here!

I never would have found you if you had changed your name to UK Bob!