Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teamcenter - yes or no?

Legend
Legend

Once again, we are in discussions about moving to Teamcenter, and I would like to hear from some actual users and how it makes their daily routine better. What things are saving you time?

I went to one of the University gatherings a few years back, and Insight was new and that was the direction we were considering. Back then, I thought it would help us search for an existing part in our network, that would fit the criteria as determined. Everyone said "oh yeah, it can do that", but never got to see it in action.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, I've tried doing some searching, and nothing really gave feedback from actual users.

30 REPLIES

Betreff: Teamcenter - yes or no?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Trikefreak

good question anyway and I also looking for the answer, coming in!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Teamcenter - yes or no?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello @Trikefreak,

I hope you get a good response to your question from the forum users.

I also suggest you can scan through the published case studies of Solid Edge users who are also using Teamcenter - this can turn up some useful nuggets of user feedback. If you go here and then type in "Teamcenter" in the search field it returns 76 Solid Edge case studies that also reference Teamcenter. You can then scan through these and see which might be of interest to you. You could also do a more specific search like "Teamcenter medical" and find those case studies in the medical devices industry for example...

best regards

Dave

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Portfolio Development}, {Siemens PLM Software}

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Remind me in December.

The virtual machines are getting setup for each server tier this week.

Teamcenter Admin training is scheduled for next week.

Teamcenter Dev environment gets installed starting April 9th.

The high level implementation plan includes going live with Solid Edge data by the end of the year.

Thankfully, we have good processes already in place. We've started the discussion on data model, access control list, and workflows to capture our processes within Teamcenter.

My biggest concern is data prep. Although we keep a fairly well organized vault on the file server, there is a lot of legacy data, different modeling techniques, and old weldments (.pwd) that still exist.  There are a lot of unknowns with our data and I'm worried what we're going to uncover.

Legend
Legend

What do you expect to gain from the implementation of teamcenter? I've attended seminars, and read customer testimonials, but they really only give the sales pitch "saved 30 percent, blah, blah, blah". If you have hundreds of designers, in different locations, I can see the benefit to some things I've heard about. I just don't hear anyone saying how things are so much easier, time saving, and giving actual details.

I know I've seen a few folks in here mention that they use teamcenter, or insight, and hoping they will chime in and tell their real experiences.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

In a single word, compliance.

Although owned by a large corporation, we are a small to mid-sized company. We are AS9100 certified due to the nature of our business and industry (we were ISO 9000 until we "graduated" to AS9100).  We follow CM2 (www.ipxhq.com) and phased-gate development processes.

In all honesty, Teamcenter is overkill for the size of our company, but because of the above reasons, Teamcenter is considered the industry standard and it WILL help us automate some of our processes in order to ensure compliance. There will be a savings, but I doubt I'll have the metrics to claim 37% or 50% or whatever it ends up being.  The hardest part about implementing a managed data environment is that the system forces rigor, which means you can potentially loose flexibility to quickly react to demand or to innovate.

In the past, we had a textbook definition of a failed Teamcenter implementation. I won't publicize the reasons but mainly Teamcenter was too hard to implement and maintain.  For a company our size, we couldn't realize any return on investment due to the resources we had to invest to keep it running.  Teamcenter 11 seems to finally have many of those hassles cleaned up and it doesn't take as much overhead to keep running.

I can't emphasize enough to do your due diligence.  Dig deep into asking the questions to find out what problems you're having that a PDM/PLM system is needed. Usually, it's a process problem, not a technology problem. Once you know the process problem, fix those, then find a system that fits your business.  You may not need a system as comprehensive as Teamcenter.

For us, Teamcenter was the clear winner, both the first failed attempt and again this year. Besides the industry expectation and compliance reasons, we can buy the modules to solve today's problems and grow the system when we're ready.  A full, scalable PLM system is the right answer.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Teamcenter - Yes. Single source of truth!

I've used Solid Edge with Teamcenter myself when I was Mechanical Designer and then CAD Manager for 8 years at Robbins Tunnel Boring Machines when Solid Edge & Teamcenter were put in place. It was painful at first but this was when the integration to TC was only 2 years old. Robbins has mega assemblies so we pushed the integration to its limits many times.Now it is much better and handles large assemblies well (starting in ST7).  It keeps users from making copies that are not needed.  It is easy for users to just search a part number and get that file. The files aren't spread across network locations or lost on a user's computer. Now I work at Mercury Digital Services and we do consulting for Teamcenter and all integrations. There are quite a few companies out there using TC with Solid Edge. It is just learning a new way to access and save your files. What sort of details do you want to know? If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Regards,

Jamie Griffis

Mercury Digital Services

Gears Phenom

YES!

"Pay me now -or- Pay me later"   But, make no mistake that you be paying!

I believe you are asking a more broad question to which you might find many more answers in general searching.

Consider replacing "Teamcenter"  with "Data Management"  or "PDM".

Teamcenter is one, and the most widely used, software for PDM.

I have used Teamcenter and the SEEC integration for going on 10 years.  I'm a big fan. Teamcenter can be a BIG tool and offers LOTS of opportunities.  Many Large installs will configure, if not customize Tc for their specific purposes.  But, be aware of the newer TC Rapid Start Options and the ability to use TC OOTB... 

I won't debate the managed vs non-managed...  this is beaten to death...  but I'll leave you again with this:

"Pay me now -or- Pay me later"   But, make no mistake that you be paying!

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Legend
Legend

I appreciate the input thus far, but it feels like those that sell/support the teamcenter are the only ones giving any feedback.

I don't have a list of questions, just looking for some simple explanations of how it improves your daily activities. I followed the last suggestion, and did a search for PDM. I'd like this one quote justified with actual examples how this is achieved:

Benefits of PDM

Improve productivity and reduce cycle times

I'm not trying to be a bigger jerk than usual, but I feel like the salesmen have jumped in with their pitch, and not daily users that have nothing to gain by their feedback. How is teamcenter helping you improve your productivity (how do you measure your productivity?) and reduce your cycle times (what results and examples can you share about cycle times?).

Gears Phenom

Sorry if you felt I was trying to sell you as a salesman. I just want to make sure this is clear about the company I work for - we don't sell software licenses for Teamcenter or any of the integrations. We only sell services to make companies successful once they've decided to purchase Teamcenter.

I did say I was a USER of Solid Edge and Teamcenter. I walked the walk and I did it when it was hard. I've been to SE Beta. I've put in hundreds of support calls. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Siemens and Gtac, all while being a user. I was also responsible for all things SE/TC for 8 years before ever doing consulting. I was given the utlimatium from my boss to cut time in 1/2 on SE for the engineering department or go back to AutoCAD. Can I give you hard numbers of what our timing was? No. Can I tell you that I accomplished that task and they still use SE today? Yes. Numbers are different per company and comparing 30k to 300k assembly times to 100-200 part assemblies would be drastically unfair. I had to support up to 120 engineering users (at the peak) at 3 sites collaberating on mega assemblies getting their work done daily. At one time, I remember monitoring the daily new file generation in TC to make sure volume space would be fine and this was 2k-5k new files daily. Doing all of this over network drives would have been a disaster. This I know from my personal user experience with assemblies and files that go missing because they are copied instead of moved with Revision Manager. I also know this from being a consultant and looking at data for clients. Plus, I don't think that every daily user would understand how not using a PDM would impact business and some don't care. I moved to consulting to help others. I don't want to see anyone struggle with SE/TC. I can only share with you what I know from my point of view. That is what I was offering. I wasn't trying to sell you anything.

Jamie