Template Icons

To All:

I recently had to load PTC's Creo Viewer due to a Customer requirement. They just happen to use the .asm extension like Solid Edge. Well this remapped the extension ro the viewer from Edge. I have managed to fix the link from the file extension back to the Solid Edge executable, but the icon for .asm is not fixed back to the normal block icon. I can't seem to find a way to fix it.

Does anyone know the process?

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200
8 REPLIES

Re: Template Icons

Ryan,

To clarify, right-clicking on the file and selecting:

Open with -> Choose default program... -> Selecting Solid Edge and checking "Use this app for all .asm files"

doesn't work?

Googling around, I ran across How to Change a File Type Icon in Windows 7 and Vista. It looks like there are possibly many factors that go into the file icon. From what I gather, the following regedit script should set it back, unless something else is messing it up.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asm\UserChoice]
"ProgId"="SolidEdge.AssemblyDocument"
Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Is it possible that Windows is using a cached version of the icon? You may need to force it to rebuild the icon cache. The following post from Microsoft explains how to do it:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-us/bea47202-d869-4155-8c8f-2a5b8bd7be1d/forum...

Greg

Jason,

The first part was accomplished and the ASM launches Edge just fine. The icon's just messed up. I tried the script and it didn't work. I used regedit to manually fix it and it will NOT let me change the value of that ProgId. 

Greg, I also tried your method and it didn't fix anything either. Looks like a possible reinstall to fix unless anyone else has an idea.

This viewer also hosed all my ACAD icons as well...how nice of them to remap their stuff to overwrite another products extension.  I can forgive the ASM, but to hijack the DXF/DWG ones as well...not right.

Thanks for your help guys,

Ryan

P.S. Jason, I guess I owe you a beer. Do I need to drive down to Newport so you can collect? Greg too if you are going to be there...

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

It gets better. I installed the same PTC app on another worksation and it didn't mess with any of the Edge or ACAD icons...

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

Even a fresh install of Edge didn't work...
--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

You don't owe me anything until we get this fixed. What OS?

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Windows 7

And I can buy you a beer if I want...it's been a LONG time.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

I don't know what I did (combination of things) but it all just fixed itself. Now you owe me a beer. :-)

Thanks for all the help Jason.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1