Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text box issues, properties locked

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am having a number of issues today with existing text boxes having the property fields locked for the most part.

Normally, I can set the Text Control Fixed Width / Wrap Text, and set the Default Tab stops for example.

Any suggestions on what to check?

ST10 MP5

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

11 REPLIES

Betreff: Text box issues, properties locked

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @Gary_Dinges

can You provide an image for better understanding?

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Screen capture attached.

Normally, the Text Control area is avaliable, now it is grey.

Also, under Indents and Spacing, the Default Tab stops is grey.

Anoter wierd thing that happened with this file is a lot of the text blocks had some of the text lines, but not all, change to .47 aspect ratio.

I will post another reply to this thread with draft file in it. Only allows one attachement.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Draft file attached.

I toggled the style to normal and then "undo" and it seems to work now.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius
Looks like if you have the actual text selected you can't change the Text Control settings but if you only have the text box itself selected you can.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

You have selected the text  - yellow highlighted.

Pick just the textbox boundary - in magenta.

The controls will be enabled.

TextControlsED.png

Actually Ben and Tushar are correct and I just fooled myself.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that help.

But that still does not explain random text aspect ratios changing.

Attached is combined picture of same text block in two versions of drawing.

Drawing acting odd is in a large file of about 20 draft files I am working on for training team members. Normal appearing text is in file I copy & pasted into larger file in seperate tabs.

This issue I have not seen before. I have PR#7887463 - Copy & pasted text changing size in draft file, but this is totally different than that PR.

PR#7887463 is related to text changing its Font Size slightly when a copy & paste is done, even within same text block. Siemens says it is a Microsoft issue due to Point size conversion. Text of last email below.

Gary,

I just talked to Fred White who is the manager for Solid Edge support and we decided we will bring this up with our managerial board. The goal will be to review the issue again and explain how this is impacting our customers and see what kind of solution we can provide in the short term.

The development response to the issue is here. It comes down to calculating the size of the text using Points which is how Microsoft deals with font sizes:

“Currently, the textbox uses RTF for copy-paste of text style data. When something is written to the clipboard then it is copied in clipboard format specified by Microsoft, which for RTF is in units of points. That is an integer system and we can only assure we are within 1/72in. When the text is copied, the size value is specified in "points"(integer) and will be written to the clipboard. When pasted, points will then be converted into text size which will be in database units(mm). An example to clear the things: size=2.54mm = 0.1in = 7.2 points which is rounded to 7 points and that is the size posted to the clipboard. During paste, we convert this back to mm as follows: 7 points = 0.097222in = 2.469444mm, So 2.54mm text size becomes 2.47mm text size because of the integer arithmetic.”

If you wish, you can contact our Planning Manager to discuss the matter as it seems fixing this will involve a project for a future release. His name is a Aditya Gurushankar. His email address is aditya.gurushankar@siemens.com and his phone number is 256-7052518.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will keep you posted of any news related to this matter.

With best regards,

Marcelo Martins

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

Digital Factory Division

Product Lifecycle Management

Product Driven Services

GTAC NA

675 Discovery Drive, Suite 100

Huntsville, Alabama 35806

Tel:  +1 (800) 955-0000

Fax: +1 (256) 705-2695

marcelo.a.martins@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/gtac

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Can you attach the DFT for the distorted text ratio within the same text box ?

And meanwhile mark relevant replies as accepted solutions for the previous question.