Text character inserted is wrong size.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Attached video shows dradt file text with size set to 2.54, I insert a degree sign and the inserted character is inserted at 4.59. Is there a setting that controls this? It does same thing with all inserted characters.

At begining of video, I showed property boxes for text before inserting character for reference.

I had to put video in zip file, I received error below when trying to submit this post. Video was made from within SE, using record screen. Video setting screen capture also attached.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

The attachment's Add degree sign to text text size change.wmv content type (video/x-ms-wmv) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

11 REPLIES

Re: Text character inserted is wrong size.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Instead of copying and pasting from the Character Map simply use the Alt key + keystroke codes.

Degrees = Alt + 0176

When entering the numbers, use the left Alt key (not the Alt-Gr key) and use the numbers on the keypad (not the numbers along the top).

This will then immediately give you your desired result.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Gary, is the text size in the active Text Style 2.54 or 4.59?  Basically asking if you overrode the size on that Text Box to 2.54 and the text pasted in is adopting the Style setting as opposed to the overrode size...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

To add to Dave's suggestion, you can find out what the keystrokes are for each symbol in CharMap by clicking on the symbol you want and looking in the lower right corner of the dialog...

2016-01-27_7-59-15.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3
Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken,

Draft file attached. I deleted main views.

Text in last revision is highlighted in red that was causing error. This is basically in all draft files I use though.

The text size character is coming in at is not a size I use anywhere though.

Gary

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would just use a callout rather than a text box. Most special symbols are readily available in the dialog.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I attached a screen capture of real scenario of issue above showing actual scenario where inserted characters are used, a callout box is impractical I believe.

The suggestions of using the ALT 0176 is working as expected.

What I would like to understand is how to make the inserted text behave in the same manner as other text. I am overseeing engineering Solid Edge utilization at 3 plants in Mexico, China and USA. I do not want to resort to back door methods of accomplishing things, unless there is no other option.

Gary

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

" a callout box is impractical I believe."

Really? Care to back that up?

Paste the following into a callout and tell me what's impractical about it. I didn't need to type in any Alt key character codes or use a character map:

REMOVED TERMINAL VIEW.
REMOVED REF FROM DIMS 1.5 & 2.5.
ADDED REF. TO DIMS 2x1.13%PM0.05 &
2x0.60%PM0.03. ADDED DIMS 2X0.50,
2X0.40, 5.0 & 2X.8, 2.00%PM0.15,
2x85%DG+0%DG, 0.7, 8.5...

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

No, you are free to use tools as you see fit. I would rather seek solutions to anomilies.

Gary

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It is a solution to your anomaly.

Bruce Shand