Text field justification

I am having a problem setting the justification for empty text fields.

My draft template that we are using has a number of text fields that in have x's in them. The fields act as expected when x's are highlighted and actual data typed in. When text is deleted though, by highlighting x's and pressing delete key, the fields revert to Top Left justification. Any subsequent text needs to be re-centered.

Is this normal operation or have I got something set wrong?

Copy of draft file attached. ST7 MP10.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

9 REPLIES

Re: Text field justification

I tried several text boxes and their center justification maintained.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Try ones above Part # / Material Description text, to left of title block.

Video attached of what is happening with these., I highlight text, press delete key, right click away from field, reselect field and re-enter text, it is top left justified.

I have to zip video files to send them, I get following error in window I create this message in shown below if I don't zip it. Video created from SE app.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• The attachment's text justification.wmv content type (video/x-ms-wmv) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Then I got this one, though I have no HTML I know of.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Gary

Your existing text boxes do have that problem but when I insert new ones they don't. Beats me. Have they existed for several SE releases?

Bruce Shand

I would estimate ST6 these were made, maybe were done in ST7, not sure.

Then again I'm on ST8 so...

Bruce Shand

Try the yellow filled ones.

Bruce Shand

This rabbit hole actually goes much deeper.

Say you want to line up text in a title block. the ONLY reference point is a circle that can have a controlled center point, say 0,0.

Next I want to place an alignment object to have something to align the text too. Once has to use a dimension to place the alignment object relative to the circle. I remember having problems with that, but it was before I figured out the circle trick. I have yet to try it again.

Then one can start aligning text to the alignment object.

All right, I'll bite: what?

Bruce Shand

Experimented some more with text fields.

To preface this, I would like to see the text that is copied from the donor field be pasted into the recipient field and inheret the settings of the recipient field. If I wanted settings from donor field copied, then I would copy field rather than text inside it.

Draft file used is SE supplied ansi metric draft fil, not modified that I recall. ST7

Attached draft file has 2 groups of text fields, 3 on top are identical to each other, 1st was made and 2 copies created, same for lower 3.

Top group is Top Left justified, Solid Edge Ansi font, 10 mm text size.

Lower group is Center Center justified, Comic Sans MS font, 5.08 mm text size.

When text is copied from one group to other group, part of the text settings are copied over, not all though. In example, text justification is carried over to the recipient field.

Above is demonstrated in video.

In addition, if text from donor field is copied, then inserted into recipient field, without highlighting all text in recipient field the behavior is more erratic. I have seen with draft file example attached, that the recipiant text will sometimes inheret donor justification settings, sometimes not. If text is pasted at very end of donor text it reacts different than if it pasted in middle or begining.

Video is zipped.

Gary