Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Text notes in assembly or model window?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @rosnerf

and what speaks against using PMI Call Outs?

Basically this is nearly exactly that what You are asking for, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

PMI Callouts are what I use to instruct users how to modify a model but I can see a use for a comment feature which is a little more sophisticated than a callout but still embedded in the file. The issue with the binder for me is that, using Insight, bound documents also have to be in Insight and would rather not have to deal with more files.

Edit: Never mind. Having never used it until now I didn't realize you could embed files with the binder function so @uk_dave's suggestion to add it to the templates is great. I'll just embed a notepad file instead of a Word file because, or in case, a user doesn't have Office installed. Then add the binder command to the quick access toolbar. It would be nice if you could make the binder file open automagically but I can just add a small PMI callout advising the user to use the binder.

Edit2: Is there a way to delete embedded files?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius
Hi, I plan to do the same until someone develop a better solution.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@bshand It is [unfortunately] not intuitive.

In the Binder command, with the dialog displayed, select/highlight the document you want to delete, then hit the Delete key.

@uk_dave. Oh! That's a little odd. But thanks.

Bruce Shand

Hi Edgers,

the major problem IMHO with binders is, that they are not accessable via the pathfinder and that there is no indicator if there are any documents inside the binder.

If man doesn't know about a binder document, they never ever will find it.

The easiset solution IMHO here would be a branch in the pathfinder for the binder.

regards
Wolfgang
Highlighted

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@hawcad wrote:

The easiset solution IMHO here would be a branch in the pathfinder for the binder.

@hawcad  As a programmer, I would be happy even if the API allows adding a custom node to the PathFinder so I can display what ever I want, for example my 'Custom Notes' with a notifier icon indicating un-read notes or some ToDo action pending, etc..

It would be dandy also if the binder or custom notes info would be accessible at higher levels, i.e. in the assembly in which the component resides.

Example: I have an adjustable part inside of which I have an embedded document with instructions for creating the driving variable in the assembly.

The binder app doesn't include this functionality.

Bruce Shand