Text notes in assembly or model window?

Creator
Creator

Hi, I'd like to know if somebody knows any solution to put some small notes into the models or assemblies.

I know there is a callout text in PMI, I use it.

But I'd like to have a more flexible solution for example small pop-up text box or "sticky note" which saved with the model or assembly and could be seen after opening the file.

It could contain some notes to colleagues, or to-do list (with checkboxes like in Google Keep) 

17 REPLIES

Re: Text notes in assembly or model window?

Phenom
Phenom

Based on the description of your requirement, the Table feature in the Tools tab in the Part environment will fit your purpose. 

It is a very well planned and thought out feature and resembles a tidy list, except the TODO feature you desire. But you can set up multiple lists within tables for pending and completed tasks, and move items between them.

TableTool.png 

~Tushar

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You could also use the Binder functionality and embed an Office file for your notes.

Creator
Creator

Thanks Tushar for your answer. I have just checked your suggestion. It looks quite complicated for this task.

Unfortunatelly as I see it could be applied for part or sheetmetal models not for assemblies. 

I think my wish should be a feature request. I imagine it like a small floating button or toolbar which could open a small window with notes from the creator or supervisor of the modell or assembly.

It could help with teamwork, too.

Creator
Creator

uk_dave: Thanks for your answer, too.

I have tried it already and so far this is the best workable solution for me.

I will try it with my colleagues.

Creator
Creator

I wrote my idea  to our local support and they forwarded to the developers as a feature request.

Hopefully we can see this in the future. Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom

I keep thinking on this and unfortunately the Binder command is not an easy command to quickly get to an embedded document. 

This is directed more @Tushar, but is there an API available to open an embedded Binder document?

What I was thinking is that if you can open an embedded document programmatically, then you could create a generic Word document e.g. Notes.docx, put this Word template into your Solid Edge template files, and then place a macro on the toolbar to always open the now always embedded Notes.docx.  This way you consistently have your notes file in every Solid Edge file going forward, and you have a quick easy way to access these notes.

Phenom
Phenom

I checked with the Guru Jason Newell as well.

Out of luck here @uk_dave with any Binder API Smiley Sad

But it possible to write a custom program which will store and retrieve custom information with a rich UI.

I have done this for Draft with my RevisionCloud program.

~Tushar

Siemens Phenom

@Tushar so there is your next opportunity -- a sticky notes application across all Solid Edge file types :-) 

Creator
Creator

Great work, Tushar Smiley Happy

I think something similar would do it in with models and assemblies.

I hope you could find some time to work on it Smiley Wink