Text notes in assembly or model window?

Hi, I'd like to know if somebody knows any solution to put some small notes into the models or assemblies.

I know there is a callout text in PMI, I use it.

But I'd like to have a more flexible solution for example small pop-up text box or "sticky note" which saved with the model or assembly and could be seen after opening the file.

It could contain some notes to colleagues, or to-do list (with checkboxes like in Google Keep) 

17 REPLIES

Re: Text notes in assembly or model window?

[ Edited ]

Based on the description of your requirement, the Table feature in the Tools tab in the Part environment will fit your purpose. 

It is a very well planned and thought out feature and resembles a tidy list, except the TODO feature you desire. But you can set up multiple lists within tables for pending and completed tasks, and move items between them.

TableTool.png 

~Tushar

You could also use the Binder functionality and embed an Office file for your notes.

[ Edited ]

Thanks Tushar for your answer. I have just checked your suggestion. It looks quite complicated for this task.

Unfortunatelly as I see it could be applied for part or sheetmetal models not for assemblies. 

I think my wish should be a feature request. I imagine it like a small floating button or toolbar which could open a small window with notes from the creator or supervisor of the modell or assembly.

It could help with teamwork, too.

uk_dave: Thanks for your answer, too.

I have tried it already and so far this is the best workable solution for me.

I will try it with my colleagues.

I wrote my idea  to our local support and they forwarded to the developers as a feature request.

Hopefully we can see this in the future. Smiley Happy

I keep thinking on this and unfortunately the Binder command is not an easy command to quickly get to an embedded document. 

This is directed more @Tushar, but is there an API available to open an embedded Binder document?

What I was thinking is that if you can open an embedded document programmatically, then you could create a generic Word document e.g. Notes.docx, put this Word template into your Solid Edge template files, and then place a macro on the toolbar to always open the now always embedded Notes.docx.  This way you consistently have your notes file in every Solid Edge file going forward, and you have a quick easy way to access these notes.

I checked with the Guru Jason Newell as well.

Out of luck here @uk_dave with any Binder API Smiley Sad

But it possible to write a custom program which will store and retrieve custom information with a rich UI.

I have done this for Draft with my RevisionCloud program.

~Tushar

@Tushar so there is your next opportunity -- a sticky notes application across all Solid Edge file types :-) 

Great work, Tushar Smiley Happy

I think something similar would do it in with models and assemblies.

I hope you could find some time to work on it Smiley Wink