Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text on the surface of a '-.par'-file is not visible in the '.asm'-file

Genius
Genius

Hi all ...

The situation:  I generated a text on the surface of part stored as a '.par'-file. I did this by generating a plane, tangential to the cylinder surface, where the text should be placed. I put a text-profile onto this tangential plane and coiled this plane around the cylinder. I successfully can see the text on the surface of the cylinder.... Fine.

This '.par'-file is a part of a '.asm'-file.

The problem:  I do not see this text-label in the '.asm'-file. But I do see it in the preview in the properties view of that special '.par'-component - within the '.asm'-file. Any other modifications in the '.asm'-file are display immediately. Something seems to be special with letters written on a surface?

What should I do to get it displayed in the '.asm'-file of the whole assembly?

Best regards

Hans

12 REPLIES

Re: Text on the surface of a '-.par'-file is not visible in the '.asm'-file

Phenom
Phenom

In the assembly pathfinder, right click on the part and select "Show/Hide Component".

In the window that appears, place a check mark in the "On" column for Curves. That should display the text.

HTH,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Genius
Genius

Thanks Bob, that's it!

Why is showing curves disabled by default in the assembly mode, while it was enabled in the par-mode ?

What about while rendering with Keyshot?

If I render the recent view of the assembly with Keyshot, these curves, containing the text are invisible.

Phenom
Phenom

I can't tell you why, but I suspect since they are typically used as construction aids that they are off by default. Perhaps someone has a better answer to that.

What is your end goal in having this text appear in the assembly and when rendered? If you are simulating a decal on the part there are other ways of accomplishing this. 

Another option might be to use the wrapped sketch to create a cutout or protrusion. Then you can extrude a surface slightly above or below the cylinder diameter and use the replace face command to make the text surface follow the cylinder.

It all depends upon what your end goal is. Here is an image where I extruded the text and then replaced the face .001" above the cylinder surface.

Replace Face.jpg

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

the default setting for not showing sub object in a part when this is placed in an assmebly IMHO is good.

It should prevent a graphics overflow of to much information in one assembly.

And normally curves, sketches, surfaces etc. are not necessareley needed for assmebling.

To show text and curves from parts in KEyShot, I would suggest to use this curve in the part to split the surface and to change the color for this splitted surface.

Si IMHO the text even will be better visible and also will be shown in keyshot too where You will be able to change the color again as You want.

The next - IMHO even better - approach also could be to bring the text onto the surface in Keyshot as etiket  rather than in Solid Edge.

A fast and easy method where You only need to have a picture in Your library to place on any surface YOu need.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

My Goal: I indeed intend it as construction aid, but also to clearly identify individual components, refered to in the text of a report.

Is there a way to change the text from pure conturs to filled?

Genius
Genius

Dear Wolfgang,

splitting surfaces ... what does this mean, how is this done?

best regards

Hans

Genius
Genius

And another question: After I have coiled the text on the surface, how can I remove it again to replace it?

Phenom
Phenom

If you simply want to change the text, go back and edit the text profile and it will wrap with the revised text.

Splitting the surfaces is an excellent idea. 

Here is a short video showing the text revision.

(view in My Videos)

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

when reading Your post I had an even better idea for making this text.

Instead of splitting the surface with Your curve simply use a normal protrusion

This reduces the necessary steps to one single step and a single feature for further usage.

See video:

(view in My Videos)

PS.: You can achieve the same result with using the split surface feature in surfaces, but You will need more clicks to get it finally!

regards
Wolfgang