Text override for dimensions

Builder
Builder

Does anyone have a more proper way of replacing dimensions with text...2.JPG

I usually create the dimension, change the dimension style to blank, and attach a callout to the dimension.  I noticed a feature callout option on the dimension type pulldown, but haven't figured out how it's supposed to be used.

Thanks,

Matt

3 REPLIES

Re: Text override for dimensions

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can use the "select - prefix" button just below the "select - dimension type" button where you select blank. Sometimes using the subfix rather than prefix to add text is better because it understands the carriage return symbol and it's left, center, right justifiable.

Callouts are for things like hole and slot specifications. A threaded or c'bored hole for example.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

A few options, none of them are exactly right because there is no way to place a variable or text as the actual replacement to a dimension.

1. Use a dimension, make the dimension blank, then add subscripts etc...to the blank dimension.

2. Use annotation. This gets any text or available variables into a display with a leader. manually add other lines and arrows to make up a dimension.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If I really had to have a variable called out in a dimension format (never have though) I guess I'd make the dim blank and then attach an annotation to the dim and turn off the annotation leader.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200