Text profile cutout in assembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

is it possible to make a text profile cutout in an assembly, currently in my attempts I noticed that the option is disabled.

12 REPLIES

Re: Text profile cutout in assembly

Phenom
Phenom

I am not able to reproduce the problem.

Text Profile is enabled in assembly for me.

I am on ST 8 and that's the only difference I see, though not necessarily the reason.

2016011907.png

Pioneer
Pioneer
it's strange cause it is enabled in a sketch but not in the cutout

Phenom
Phenom

It appears from the Solid Edge title bar that you are in the Cutout command.

You need to start a Sketch to create a Text Profile first and then use the Cutout command to make the cut.

2016011908.png

It works the same way in ST 8 as well.

Perhaps you may want to report this to GTAC.

Pioneer
Pioneer
well in the part medium text profile works directly from the cutout command.

it is also problematic to use a sketch with the text profile for the cutout as after the sketch is made during the cutout step select from sketch the text profile is un-selectable ... the only other way is to include the profile directly but it will be included as a series of lines not a clear profile

Phenom
Phenom

Alternatively you can Edit the part in place and use Ctrl+Q to toggle visibility of other parts along with Peers ON to create the Text Profile on the part itself. Does this sound less problematic ? Smiley Happy

~Tushar

Pioneer
Pioneer
the part itself has to remain untouched as a drawing will be made of it and it can not contain the cutout

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @NorbertS,

Yes this can be done.....

Create a sketch with your text profile, then make an assembly cutout feature, using the include command, with selection set to wireframe chain, selecting the text......and you're done!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

if you include a text profile it's never a clean profile .. because of how the text is built there will be problems depending on what characters are used

it's not the most elegant solution

Legend
Legend

Just to help me learn more, why would you want a text cut in a part to show in an assembly, but really not want it in the part? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but maybe I can learn something new today.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.