Text profile has a box around it that I can't remove.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I wanted to create a toolbox and name the tool positions so that a laser can cut the holes for the tools and also write the name of the tool.

The text is created with a box around it and I can't find a way to remove it.

The text is also an outline for some reason and not drawn as a single line.

I'm using Solid Edge ST5 Academic.

Also, can I change my forum displayed username. I made a typo and instead of backspace I pressed enter.

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES

Re: Text profile has a box around it that I can't remove.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi there,

Run the "Etch" command, then you can hide the sketch text with the bounding box. There is no way to remove it otherwise
Also, there are some custom single line fonts kicking around somewhere (perhaps I or someone else can find and share them), but are non standard issue system fonts, which is where Solid Edge draws them from.
Sorry, I'm not near my workstation, so can't be of more help yet.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

I used the Sheet Metal > Dimple > Etch and it got rid of the box but I cannot see the etching in assembly environment, only when I'm editing the part that has the etching written on.

Is there an option somewhere? I assume it's possible to show all the labels and etching in assemblies.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Yeah, that's one of the wee snafus.....you have to use the show/hide features and IIRC it's also listed as a sketch. (running from memory here, and that's not that flash at best) ;-)

I remember asking for this very thing to be sent in as an Enhancement Request [ER] last year....not sure of its standing or if it was escalated.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is from memory also, but...

1. The box is only shown in CAD, it does not end up as part of the process.

2. There is a way in "Save as Flat (to DXF)" to do a font map. It is here that you get the single line font thing done. SE does not support single line fonts -- but you map to the AutoCAD font that is single line. You do it during the Save as Flat process.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter
How can I cut the profile into the sheet metal? Running in Synchronous sheet metal environment.
I can only etch the Text profile I created but not cut it out of the material.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why this does not work in Synch, but transition into Ordered and use the Cutout to place using the Select From Sketch option.  The Text Profile can remain in the Synch environment.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1