Texture or image on frame

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Everyone,

my self quite new for solid edge and got a question.

how to show image label on frame design in draft environtment?

one of our design process is manufacturing automation machine. which is frame design.

i would like to label the machine on one of partial frame surface with an image, or texture.

i have try inserted an image on frame within sketch environtment then insert image. it's appear at assembly environtment. but it does not appear  in my draft file, though using shaded view. it's only square empty sketch that show up.

advises migh very helpful.

Thank you

8 REPLIES

Re: Texture or image on frame

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @JVCInd,

Have you considered modelling a thin part, with an image texture applied using "part painter" to the front face, to be an actual physical label?

Keep in mind, textures will only display in draft, when the view is shown as shaded.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi sean,

thank you for your quick respond.

yes sean, i have no problem with labeling part with my custom face style.

i could make thin wall part on this case, the problem is i have to make it separately out of my frame design. which is i will lost my frame cut list and total length in BOM. further more, this part will no longer update automaticaly when i update my frame structure on frame construction either it's sketch or solid body reference.

any other idea sean?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@JVCInd,

I was thinking it would only add a part [for each label used] to the BOM, and not alter anything for the existing Frame/BOM as to a resulting cut length, and applying it by normal face mates to the frame components.....to replicate what I assume will be real world activity.

See my VERY ROUGH example frame assembly with label, below....[would want to use a good high contrast image, not like the one I used] Robot Embarassed

ST8_ASM_Frame[w-Label]_Img-1.PNG

ST8_ASM_Frame[w-Label]_Img-2.PNG

ST8_DFT_Frame[w-Label]_Img-1.PNG

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear Sean,

Awesome...,Smiley Surprised that's exactly all i need. would you mind to give me the tutorial trough document or video? or anything that guide me to that goal.

in previous reply you mentioned about thin wall part, i thought you asked me to create the frame by single part each.

thank you very much sean, looking foeward your tutorial. appreciate it

Regards

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

All good....actually, there are loads of videos on You Tube, but the first one I came across, was this one from Ben Sampson, as I think is the most relevant, to your task, in creating and setting up the actual decal from an image......

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

So back to your original question:

i have try inserted an image on frame within sketch environtment then insert image. it's appear at assembly environtment. but it does not appear  in my draft file, though using shaded view. it's only square empty sketch that show up.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I've got the same problem,  tried inserting an image in Part edit, it shows up in Assembly as a sketch on the part, but not in Draft environment. Even with shaded view & sketch shown.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Hi planker 81,
Sean cresswell had given the solution. You need to make physical sticker or label as separate part, and assemble it within your assembly.

Thanks
TAD

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi ,

Ok, I wasn't sure if there was still a way to make the first method work - by inserting an image into a sketch in Part edit, and to make it visible in Draft.  So you're saying this method is only useful in Assembly.

Thanks TAD