Thank you again for another great SEU

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I've been meaning to put out a post on SEU2014 and thank the Solid Edge team for another great year and what looks like a huge release.  The 3 big points for me are 3D sketching, integration of Keyshot, and self aligning coordinate dimensions.  The coordinate dimensions are huge for me because I cram lots of large sheet metal parts with lots of holes onto B size paper and coordinate dimensions are the most efficient way for me to do this.  I've been pushing for a while to get the alignment tool into Solid Edge and it looks like they have delivered.  Dan Staples even humorously nicknamed it after me.  Seriously though, thank you, thank you, thank you!

For those who have struggled with rendering in Solid Edge with Virtual Studio, and have not tried Keyshot, you will be amazed at what it can do with very little effort.  Integrating Keyshot into Solid Edge is a blockbuster announcement.  You can now render in any environment with live updating.  This announcement will save current Keyshot users money on maintenance since it's now rolled into Solid Edge.  I would encourage you to visit the Keyshot site and take a look at their forum - specificially the one for "sharing your amazing shots".  You will be amazed at the talent of some of the Keyshot users and what the software is capable of doing.

3D sketching will come in handy along with fixed length curve tools for roughing out tubing and wiring layouts for those without Express Route.  I typically use cross curves for such tasks but 3D sketching will give you better control over radii and paths.

There is a lot more that can be said about SEU2014 but it's clear that the SE team listens to the users and have created a great product.  Thanks again!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
14 REPLIES

Re: Thank you again for another great SEU

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I would like to say thank you too.  

For those of you that were not able to attend, I have to second Kyle's statements. SEU was a great event.  As an event, they offered lot of value for the time an money you invest.  All of the people who came to SEU with me are anxiously looking forward to ST7.  

In addition to the big items there are lots of productivity enhancement improvements that don't make for flashy press releases.  Some are subtle enough that you may not even notice that they are making your life better.  For example there is a new Quick View Cube that floats in the corner of the graphics area until you need it.  It is configurable, and works like the common views command on steroids.

Jason

PLM World Member Phenom

Jason,

That's right, the cube is really helpful.  Another enhancement is the hole command - it's been completely reworked around standard fits etc.  There may be a few more tweaks needed to it before the final release, but it provides a lot more visual feedback than the current command.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You would be amazed at how many of our users would use the Common Views command to just square their model to the screen after they rotated it to just about the right spot.  View Cube is going to be a big productivity enhancement.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I also want to say that is was a great event and well worth our time.

My favorite thing about ST7 was that so many of the enhancements were things we had all been asking for (sometimes for too long). They appeared to be done well and complete not simple band-aid fixes. I will certainly benefit from the ordinate dimension improvements.

My only disappointment is coming home and not having ST7...

Phenom
Phenom

Same here Kyle... I've been swamped since returning home, and wanted to do the same. But as you pointed out it was another successful event. And as every here has pointed out there are plenty of little tweaks as well as a number of great new features in ST7. KeyShot and running SE on a MS Surface...  Great !  I already have KeyShot, but I am so thrilled to see ALL users get to put some nice images together. Karsten and the Siemens guys definitely are putting Solid Edge in a great position for more growth.

On another note: I was a little ticked off at Ralph Grabowski of WorldCAD... never liked the guy. Read here: http://www.upfrontezine.com/2014/upf-819.htm

He seems to be stuck on irrelevant numbers along with a snide comment about Synch... instead of how well the USER's needs were met and how much time Synchronus Technology saves. Who cares how many 3rd Party vendors were there. The last thing I need to do is spend 2 days walking thru hundreds of irrelevant vendors booths....size  "DOESN'T MATTER"... but TIME does!

Well he's never been a big fan of Solid Edge, so I guess this was better then his usual cynical tone.

Bob

PLM World Member Phenom

Bob,

I see some holes in Grabowski's comments.  First he mentions ST7 is still not 100% - how's the competition doing?  So far they are nowhere near what ST can do.  Second, if I recall correctly, and Dan Staples can correct me if I'm wrong, NX benefitted from Solid Edge in obtaining Synchronous Technology.  It's that things were not good as SE was bounced from owner to owner, but one thing remained constant - the Solid Edge team pretty much remained intact.  SWX on the other hand, is now owned by Dassault and the original SWX team is gone.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

Yes, I think this was a successful event. It worth to travel from Hungary to The USA. Smiley Wink

Köszönöm!

Thank you!

Danke!

Merci!

Dan has mentioned that this is a traditionally USA event. I hope this will change, this should be WORLD event! Smiley Wink I've already some guys from Europe or Rick from Australia and next year Sean will attend from NZ! Smiley Very Happy

The place (city, hotel) was very good. Smiley Wink

The product? This version will be James Band version of users with lots of nice features!

There are some areas where we must develop, but this is a normal thing. Smiley Wink The goal? Solid Edge has to be the best desktop CAD software for PC! Cloud??? Just a bull**bleep** with many risks!

C'mon Solid Edge and Design together! Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Based on the article, it seems that he came in with a biased view, watched the presentation of new ST7 features, and spent the rest of his time eating free food (by the vendor booths.)

By focusing on the negative things about SE's past, and the vendor booths he was able to support his preconceptions. He didn't mention anything about user enthusiasm, the quality of presentations, or the quantity of information available. It doesn't sound like he attended any of the sessions, or spoke to any of the users. The quantity of Siemens people attending this event, their accessibility to attendees, and the open discussions they have with users means a lot more to me than talking to a sales guy from some vendor.

Personally, I don't go to a CAD conference to buy 3rd party software. I do look at what they offer, and they do add some value, but that is way down my list of things to do at the conference.

Jason

MLombard
Retired

Bob,

I've worked with Ralph Grabowski a little. He has described himself as a "contrarian". If you see him write about other software, he takes a similar stance. Even with his native AutoCAD, he recently wrote some really scathing stuff about new versions with little real content. I personally think that the industry needs guys like Ralph. You have to read him in context. The typical CAD writer is a little more gushing or effusive, but Ralph is more reserved. If you read him in the context of other CAD writers, he may come off as negative, but if you read him in the context of other stuff he writes, then I think the article was pretty good.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.