The death of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1... It's closer than you think!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I had a meeting with our HP hardware rep and got some interesting news:

• As of of November 1st, Microsoft will not allow any OEMs to ship any PC's with any OS other than Windows 10.
  • Additionally, any PC hardware released on or after that date will not have drivers made available for anything except for Windows 10.
  • And if that isn't bad enough, the new generations of Intel processors (like Kaby Lake) are purportedly not going to allow installation of Win 7/8.1

So if you aren't already on or planning on upgrading to Windows 10 soon, you may soon have no choice.  I am already seeing loss of driver support for Win 7 with some new hardware...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
4 REPLIES

Re: The death of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1... It's closer than you think!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Good information [as always] Ken!

Thanks for sharing.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@Grundey Don't forget that if you upgrade between now and 29th July (i.e. two weeks!) it's free, after that it will be chargeable. We're currently upgrading our machines to Windows 10 for this reason and the reasons you mention.

We've done in-place upgrades on the computers (probably 20-30 CAD machines, and the same non-CAD so far) and it's gone very well with no significant issues, so I'd recommend this route to anyone else.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Alex_H - Same here. Pretty smooth.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Good point... if you don't have a formal support agreement with MS.  Your "free" upgrade to Win 10 expires the end of July.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10