Solved! Go to solution

Thicken a surface

I am trying to thicken a reasonably complex surface, but it won't do it. My normal checks are: 1) see if there are any unstitched edges (there are not any); and 2) use geometry inspector to check for faults (it does not find any). I even reduced the tolerance and added the heal stitch surface to the stitch command but that did not work either. Does anyone have any work arounds?

Regards

Peter Smith

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Greybarn
‎04-25-2016 08:13 AM

Re: Thicken a surface

I would try Geometry Inspector to find small faces that may be being completely consumed.
Tight bends that will cause self intersections can also cause failures.
Does a really small offset value work?
If so then slowly increase the value looking for places where the offset walls intersect each other.
LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Re: Thicken a surface

Hi Jason. 

I got it to work. I saved and closed the file, closed the program, re-opened the program, re-opened the file, and then lo and behold I could thicken the surface. It must have just needed a lunch break. Kind of weird but I will accept it.

Before I had closed the file and the program, I had been trying to get it to thicken 0.001" but it would not do that.

I had used geometry inspector to check small faces, spikes, etc. but there weren't any strange issues there. I had not put any radii into the corners. I am drawing a mold surface and only add radii after I get it to become a solid.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Peter Smith