Thin Part to Sheet Metal

I am trying to convert an imported STEP file to a sheet metal part using the "Thin Part to Sheet Metal" command but am getting the following error. 

The input model contains non-sheet metal faces that must be removed before transforming.

What am I doing wrong?

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
5 REPLIES

Betreff: Thin Part to Sheet Metal

Hi,

normally this came from a non uniform thickness within that part.

My method to get the sheet metal is to create an ofset body from one chaini of faces

See video

regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the creative solution with multi-body modeling. You were also correct about the part having different thicknesses. Here is one area where synchronous really shines. I was able to fix the one sheet metal flange that had a different thickness and then the "Thin Part to Sheet Metal" command worked.

sheet_metal_thickness.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Just an FYI that I submitted an enhancement request to add a tolerance setting to the  "Thin Part to Sheet Metal" command so that the user has some control over how many decimal places the software evaluates for the thickness conversion. In my case, the command would not work with a .000159" difference between flange thicknesses in the part which seems way too tight. I wish I could buy sheet metal that was manufactured to that tight a tolerance:-)

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

David,

If possible, please share the IR/ER number so we can call GTAC and add our name to support your request.

That seems to be a good one.

I've encountered same situation a few times and having set a "tolerance" for the thickness would have save me time.

Regards,

Michel

Sure, here is the GTAC response:

This IR was converted into an enhancement request (ER) on 23-JAN-2017 and is now referenced as ER Number 7933145.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10