Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threads Not Showing in Model?

Creator
Creator

I am adding #10-32 threads to my model. I used the thread command and selected the correct thread type, however, the model itself is not showing the threads in the part or the drawing. It "shows" the threads by having a strange shaded area (picture included). I need to convert this file to an STL for a 3D printer. Is there a way I can make the threads show when I convert the file? Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES

Re: Threads Not Showing in Model?

Genius
Genius

The thread you have added is only a visible representation, not a real thread. If you need the actual thread you'll have to model it. This would be done with the helix cut and a triangular sketch.

Harri

Genius
Genius

Capture.JPG

First find your thread specs, then draw a triangle and place it correspondingly. Use this tool and read the pointers at the bottom of the screen. You'll also need a line along the middle of the cylinder to sweep the helix.

helical.jpg

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your help. I tried this and I almost got it correct, except there is still an error. When I went to do the helix cut I selected my triangle cut and selected the line at the center of the body to rotate around and clicked the check button. When it asked me how many turns it needed I said  5 because the 10-32 thread has 5 turns. However when I went to go through with this command I received an error message on how this command could not be complete (picture attached). It also will not let me delete the cutout saying "The selected items could not be deleted." Any advice on how to complete this properly? 

Genius
Genius

@OliviaK, your thread looks really nice. Without the file it's hard to say why the delete is failing. Most probably you haven't selected the entire feature, or you have added fillets or other features, which must first be deleted. 

If there are no other features, try picking the cutout from the model tree and deleting. This will make sure all associated parts have been selected.

Creator
Creator

When I try to delete the cutout I receive the same error message on how "this item cannot be deleted." I would like the thread to complete correctly and not give me an error message. Even if I tell the command to do 4 number of turns the cutout turns out in the same fashion, except I do not receive an error message. I need a #10-32 thread and I feel like my dimensions are all correct. I am not sure what to do to solve this issue. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OliviaK

best would be to upload Your file.

Only then man can look into it in further detail to see why it behaves and what the reason is.

regards
Wolfgang