Through bolt connections in SE

Pioneer
Pioneer

I know there are a lot of ways to do this, but what is the best way to make hole pattern in one part line up with a hole pattern in another? Let's say I have 4 holes connecting one plate to another plate, and they don't have a nominal hole pattern. Is there a way in SE to do it so that if you change that pattern in the top plate, that the other plate's hole pattern follows? This sounds like an assembly feature, but keep in mind that one plate might have a threaded hole, and the top plate perhaps a clearance. (Not just a simple clearance through both). This has been something I haven't really learned well with SE since I've started. Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES

Re: Through bolt connections in SE

Phenom
Phenom

In the assembly that contains both parts open one of them and put in the holes.

Then from the assembly edit-in-place the second part and you can locate the centres of the first part holes.

Peer locate has to be on and the part need to be activated.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

when creating them diectly from assembly then IMHO it is the better way to use an assembly feature send back to the parts.

Or, when working sync the - my personal favorite method - is to create an cutout (extrusion first, using the hole pattern from the first part and then do a hole recognition.

This for me is the fastest and smartes way to get the proper result.

And if those holes are sync YOu can modify them both directly from the asm.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you that is just what I needed. The peer locate is one I seem to always forget about.

Phenom
Phenom

I start most of my parts with sketch elements that are a peer locations of of there parts and planes in the assembly environment.

This is how I create re-sizable sheet metal tanks that also update to sheet metal part that change in gage. 

Peer locate is the heart of my modeling process. I use include to get started. Co-liniar or tangent if I need to repair or re-establish the relation.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Only a suggestion. I many times use "copy sketch" command where sketch contains patterning. Here is an video about steps:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

what man must not forget is the "Pattern By Table" command which come into SE with ST8.

You can pattern fetauers by an external table for different parts

regards
Wolfgang