Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time analysis.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Is it possible to check how much time is spent on a part or an assemlby of parts?

9 REPLIES

Re: Time analysis.

Legend
Legend

That would be a wonderful tool, and I'd like to hear the suggestions that come through. I've spent years studying this, and the difference from one person to the next is unreal, in my research.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Trikefreak

those questions and request are as old as CAD usage is here.

The better question will be: "What will You measure?"

The time a certain part is opened on screen?

But what if the user is out of the office, are on phone and will not do anything with that opened part?

Or must there be a "mouse meter", analyzing wether or not, the mouse is in move?

What if there are batch jobs, opening those parts.

Should this time also be put into calculation?

I think, there already are addin for SE, writing the time, a part is on screen into a file.

But can You use this time as real value?

That's the question?

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Any information is better than no information.

So knowing how long a file has been open at least gives you something.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

This reminds me of an experience long ago where we were using a mainframe based CAD system which did monitor your mouse/keyboard click activity.  A user who wanted to look busy decided to set a stapler on his Enter key and left for the day.  Failed for him big time as the repeated key events eventually overwhelmed the system and it crashed.  Needless to say, everybody found out he was stealing the company time that day...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Templeton needs his stapler back!

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Drinking Bird.gif

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hawcad wrote:

Hi @Trikefreak

those questions and request are as old as CAD usage is here.

I agree.

And also I haven't read a more convincing answer than this since the time of CAD usage.

Well written Wolfgang!

~Tushar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Yes I agree, great answer Wolfgang.

The closest I have found for time is in Properties Manager but that only registers start time and the time it was last saved.  This gave me a bisis to work on some of my time in assemblies but not all.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are plenty of third party Windows applications available that will monitor your time and activity of actually working in various software windows.  Surely these types of tools would be better suited as they only record your activity when in the software.  One such application I have used in the past is RescueTIme:

https://www.rescuetime.com/

But then again, as Wolfgang says, should you only record the time the file is being used or the time the file is open?  What happens if the user stops working for an extended period with the file open but the user is busy sketching or calculating on a scratch pad?  Is that still the design activity time that should be associated to the Solid Edge file or is that separate design time?  And then when the user leaves the file open but goes to a coffee break? 

Unfortunately any such attempt at capturing working time through the file is fraught with pitfalls when placed under actual time management scrutiny.