Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerance Workflow for Manufacturing

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I am relatively new to SolidEdge and 3d printing.  I finished my first 3d printed prototype and I am looking for a way to improve my workflow on my next prototype.

What I did for my first model was to make everything perfect and then go in and manually subtract the necessary tolerances; I'd then 3d print the part and revisited my tolerances based on fit. 

There must be a better way.  I would think you should be able to specify the tolerance needed against the perfect part as a variable and reuse that variable in multiple places.  When you want to 3d print the part, there might some sort of finalize button and then the necessary material is removed.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Betreff: Tolerance Workflow for Manufacturing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JordanMcB

is Your question going to the printing tolerance of the 3D output or the nominal tolerance You have used to create the model using dimensions?

For the printing tolerance there are several settings to take in mind.

For the model tolerance itself (e.g. H7, +/- 0.1mm, +0.5/+0.2) other tools are necessary.

But they already exist.

For example I have done this many years ago and therefore there is an macro exisiting, which is changing the model according to the used dimensions tolerances.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there anything built into solid edge for this? What are the tools? I am barely literate enough (in the subject) to communicate my need

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

At the end of your design you could add an Offset Face command and select the faces that require compensation.

I guess you could offset the entire part also.

Then later, after you do a print you have just one edit to make.

If you need multiple Offset Face features then create a variable in teh variable Table and tie them together so you have a single formula.

OffsetFaces.PNG

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JasonTitcomb 

but is a negative offset possible?

IMHO not.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I often use Offset face command with negative value, but I prefer positive value with good direction. Of course the result depends on model complexity...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/