Tolerance display on a dual dimension

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is it possible to not display a tolerance on primary units dimension but also display it on secondary units on a per dimension selection, that is not all dimensions on drawing?

Our drawings have a standard tolerance block. Drawing that is sent to customer is often dual dimensioned when customer drawing is in inches. Our standard is millimeters. There is no reference in standard tolerance block for inches.

I have occurences of dimensions that meet the standard tolerance on drawing for MM's, so by company guidelines the tolerance would not be shown on primary. Since it is a dual dim, I need to show tolerance on secondary units though.

Example in attached file. The 24.0 ±0.5 / 0.945 ±0. 020 should be shown as 24.0 / 0.945 ±0. 020 since drawing tolerance is  1 place (0.0) = ±0.5 for MM's.

Any reasonable way of doing this short of putting a white fill hatch in drawing view over upper tolerance. (Haven't done this by the way)

I am working on drawing standards for group and this came up. One place in documentation it states not to show tolerance on dim if it matches drawing standard tolerance, but this scenario causes an exception.

Thanks,

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554

gary.dinges@emerson.com

4 REPLIES

Re: Tolerance display on a dual dimension

you can change the dimension tolerance precision individually but i do not think that 1 can be toleranced and not the other...

albeit there are ways to fake the system but none that i know will stay up to date...

you may be able to build you own using some of the newer property text formating options.???

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What rule are you attempting to follow that says you can't have tolerances in the drawing field that happen to match the tolerance block? Internal rules I presume. On the other hand why not add inch tols to the title block or use a different background that has both?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
To go with Bruce's comment, many title block tolerances are to be used unless otherwise defined. This would allow you to define a tolerance (even if it is the same as the title block) for the main dimension.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have 'Unless Otherwise Specified...' in title block.

I was checking to see if it was possible to do and I wasn't aware of procedure.

Documentation I am writing now has a 'disclaimer' in it.

"Note: Due to current limitation of Solid Edge CAD, all Dual Dimensions on a Style drawing shall show full tolerance, including instances of where primary dimension tolerance matches the drawing border tolerance. The reason for this is that the ability to not show a tolerance in only one of the two dual dimension values is not currently available."

Thanks,

Gary