Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tolerancing gears from gear designer

Pioneer
Pioneer
I am new to 3d printing and will be building my first prototype. Ive got some gears created from the gear designer utility that i would like to print but i dont know how to tolerance it for printing since the geometry is so complex. I did not see an option in the gear designer for tolerancing.

My primary interest right now is how to tolerance the gear that was output from the tool since ive made some fancy modifications that id rather not redo.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tolerancing gears from gear designer

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Your Gears should be modeled to nominal [BASIC] values.

Tolerancing must be thought thru at a system level to afford F,F,F at the assembly.

Gear mess tolerances should follow industry standards.

Your gear mesh should be adjustable at the assembly; typically by slotting one of the Gear's axis.

I must assume that if your gear profiles were created at nominal values then you should be safe to go ahead and 3D print these.  I all will depend on your application, Size of gear, # of teeth, type of 3D printer, print resolution, etc, etc.

But the question of tolerancing in 3D in 3D is somewhat misplaced... your 3D is a theoretical perfect part.  Tolerancing is only to account for manufacturing variation and the fact that the "real world"  is not perfect.

I hope this answer is helpful...  if I have misunderstood your question please elaborate... 

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Found a link to machinist handbook  GEARS, SPLINES, AND CAMS chapter via a .edu site... 

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Pioneer
Pioneer
I'll try printing the perfect gear. I think I was wondering about how one would take the gears profile and just subtract off a fraction of a mm so the gears work well together. The Machinist book is appreciated but my interest was in how to actuate this in Solidedge

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JordanMcB

this either could be done using the Thicken function (at least for positive tolerances, I'm not confident about negative yet) or using an Offset Surface followed by a Replace Face function.

This will work in both directions.

Those methods will give You the possibility for modifying the tooth geometry with appropriate tolerances according to Your wanted functionality!

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

I can't select the tooth profile with the offset tool.  How can I draw a curve efficiently on the extremity.