Top Level Assy Warnings for Parts with Failed Features

Builder
Builder

Is there a setting in SE ST8 to show warnings in top level assemblies of failed features of parts within it?  If so, how do I turn it on?  If not, how do I push for the implementation of it?

Let's say I have a part "A" that I'm modifying the O.D. on.  I make the modification.  Now my die part (driven by part 'A') has a failed feature as the collinear constraint between the part "A" O.D. and the I.D. of my die part is lost.  Creo and I think Solidworks will show the parts in red in the assembly to warn the user of failed features.  SE shows nothing.  It seems it's up to the user to examine each part in the assembly.

Thanks,

Matt

13 REPLIES

Re: Top Level Assy Warnings for Parts with Failed Features

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

No setting that I know of for failed features. Just the Error assistant for failed assembly relationships.

You could contact your reseller and have them file an ER(Enhancement request).

How about a macro that would scan the active assembly for component issues?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

The tree does show you something wrong. Yes it doesn't show up red or in bold but, it is there. I also make sure everything related by looking at the tree.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@TDB,

That's not the tree though. That's the mates display for that specific part. You would have to click on every part to see it AND that only reveals problem mates not failed features.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That would be a good addition to the assembly tree......it must be some what available in the depths of code.

Something akin to the grey box error displayed in draft. [although part level errors can be discovered by browsing the "Component Tracker"....does get a little tedious spotting those errors on large assemblies]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SeanCresswell, I haven't used component tracker much. Does it reveal failed features in the parts in the tree?

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom

Until the functionallity part of Solid Edge, here is a macro to identify failed features in the context of an assembly.

You can download it here.

https://fffse.codeplex.com/

I would ask that you use some caution in testing, like saving your assembly first.

The macro does not alter any files but it does activate components in order to access geometry.

Regards,

Jason T.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

bshand wrote:

@SeanCresswell, I haven't used component tracker much. Does it reveal failed features in the parts in the tree?

Oh darn it, I just ran a small test case......I was wrong, it seems to only track file structure / links.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@JasonTitcomb  Only parts defined in context? What about just parts with failed features?

@SeanCresswell  Oh, well, thanks for trying.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom

I think @MattSs use case make sense.

If you have an assembly with inter-part links, it's possible to break other parts while modifying the assembly.

If you have a part open in the Part environment then you would use the Error Assistant.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com