Solved! Go to solution

Top Level Parts

Hi

I am new to Solid Edge and I am having some trouble trying to insert an assembly into another assembly

when I click on the insert component and select the assembly I want to insert, nothing appears in the screen

I am also getting a message that " No Top Level Part Selected"

How do I overcome this problem

Best Regards

Steven 

11 REPLIES

Re: Top Level Parts

With the Insert Component command it looks like you need to double click on the part.

That said, I have no idea how this command is supposed to work as I have never used it. I simply go to the library tab in the pathfinder, select the part or assembly I want, and drag it into the screen. The Insert Component command seems like a wasted step to me, but perhaps I am missing something.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Hi Bob Thanks for the reply, it still doesn't work for this particular assembly, I can insert other assemblies or components, but when I try to install this assembly it does not appear, plus i still get the message at the bottom saying No Top Level Part Selected Regards Steven

Any chance you or someone else has the assembly open while you are trying to insert it?

Have you tried closing solid edge and restarting and trying again?

Sent from my iPhone
Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

How was the sub-assembly created? Has it been imported by any chance? Can you double check that the parts are solids and not surface bodies. If they are, you will need to show surfaces before seeing them.

Hi Alan

Yes its been imported from  the manufaturers web site.

I have attached a copy of the files

Thanks for teh assitance its very much appreciated Man Happy

Hi @steven123

and those 2 parts only are building Your sub-assembly, which couldn't be brought into Your top-assembly?

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Alan

what I have done is to run a geometry check over one of those parts and afterwards I could see the surfaces in assembly too.

There were problems with thos imported surfaces.

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author steven123
‎12-19-2016 07:03 AM

Hi @steven123

and after repair the second part You can see both of them in Your assembly.

20161219_1038.PNG

And the assembly also as subassembly within Your top.

BUT: both parts are surfeace only!

Maybe You change them to full body parts instead of unblank the construction body surfaces

regards
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang

Thanks for your help, i have managed to sort out the problem.

Best Regards

Steven